• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lottie999

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi there everyone,

My 5 year old male guinea pig Maple recently started showing URI symptoms (crusty nose/eyes, wheezing, sneezing etc). I took him straight to the vet who prescribed him with a week course of antibiotics and some decongestant, (no probiotics, but luckily researched this and bought some myself).

He completed the course of medication and does seem better, his nose is completely fine, he is still interested in his food, however, the wheezing noise is still there. :( He does look like he is struggling to take a full breath properly, but apart from this seems his usual self! I'm wondering whether anyone has any experience with this? Could the continued wheezing indicate something else- maybe a heart problem? Is it worth another visit to the vet (she seemed not particularly experienced in pigs I have to say.. maybe I should try somewhere else for a second opinion? He is fairly old now and I don't want to put him through too much stress.

Thanks in advance,

Lottie

Hi there everyone,

My 5 year old male guinea pig Maple recently started showing URI symptoms (crusty nose/eyes, wheezing, sneezing etc). I took him straight to the vet who prescribed him with a week course of antibiotics and some decongestant, (no probiotics, but luckily researched this and bought some myself).

He completed the course of medication and does seem better, his nose is completely fine, he is still interested in his food, however, the wheezing noise is still there. :( He does look like he is struggling to take a full breath properly, but apart from this seems his usual self! I'm wondering whether anyone has any experience with this? Could the continued wheezing indicate something else- maybe a heart problem? Is it worth another visit to the vet (she seemed not particularly experienced in pigs I have to say.. maybe I should try somewhere else for a second opinion? He is fairly old now and I don't want to put him through too much stress.

Thanks in advance,

Lottie

Please have your boy checked for not yet healed out URI, permanently narrowed airways, allergy (pollen/hay dust) or heart problems (fluid build-up in either the lungs or chest cavity).

We can help you better of you please added your country, state/province or UK county to your details, so we can tailor any advice and recommendations to what is available and doable where you are considering we have got members and enquiries from all over the world. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. Thank you!

We have got a recommended piggy savvy UK vet locator on the top bar, but can provide a link for recommended vets in some other countries if wished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back