• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

New Baby Pig W/ Flaky Red Ear; Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crnyng

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
New here so not quite sure how all this works. Anyhow though, about a week ago I picked up two new little girls and one had an URI which I am giving medicine but the other I recently found has a flaky ear. It looks like it either got nibbled a little or she scratched it too hard as well because it looks a little red as if there was a scab there but has fallen off now. I know a fungal infection is an option but I was just looking to see what others say. Opinions, advice, suggestions, anything really. I know it could be simply a dry ear, mites, or a fungal infection but not completely sure which. I do plan on taking her in as soon as Monday rolls around but still curious for now. Thanks!

Welcome to the forum. Please could you update your location on your profile as it will affect the advice we give (members from all over the world).

Great that you are taking her to the vet. Fungal is a possibility and no uncommon when baby pigs arrive in a new home. Could you post a photo at all?

Welcome to the forum. Please could you update your location on your profile as it will affect the advice we give (members from all over the world).

Great that you are taking her to the vet. Fungal is a possibility and no uncommon when baby pigs arrive in a new home. Could you post a photo at all?
Like I said I am new so I wasn't quite sure how to add a photo but I do have one. I'm still figuring everything out on here for now. I'll attempt.

ear.jpg

Thank you for the photo. It does look fungal to me, hopefully the vet will be able to give you something to clear it up. If you were in the UK I would suggest Enilconazole which is used as a dip or a topical treatment. I am not sure if you have that in the US. I would be struct with hygiene for now. Don't separate them as your other pig has already been exposed but I would be prepared to treat them both if needed.

The other one is on Bactrim as of right now because she had a URI. I am watching both closely for any changes in either. Curious though, would her being on the antibiotic keep her from getting the infection if it is fungal?

No antibiotics don't help with fungal, she would need an antifungal medication. I believe there is an oral medication called Sporanox in the US but I am not sure of the minimum age for it's use. Your vet may give you a topical cream.

Poor girl- to me it does look like a fungal infection that she has been scratching at. I would definitely get a vet check for some antifungals.

I plan on calling Monday. Stressful to have two sick piggies. It's just vet visits right after another. Worried about them giving each other things after one is finished with their current issue. Meaning the Solis, who has the URI giving Luna (who has the fungal infection) the URI and the other way around again as well.

They are houses together for the time being in a store bought cage. I did make my own cages seeing as I have 6 guinea pigs. Two 4ft by 3ft cages, one for the girls and one for the boys. But until the new babies are healthy I cant introduce them to the older girls so no where to go for now.
The new babies, Solis (orange/white) and Luna (white/brown/black); Sun and Moon.

babies.jpg

Oh bless them!
Yes, Luna does look fungal on that ear, however if it hasn't spread to anywhere else on her body or to Solis, you may be lucky and get away with a topical cream from your vet :-)
Tee Tree is a very effective, natural anti fungal, I use it on our horses, but I'm not sure on the strength for little people like piggies - Bluey does have periodic baths in tea tree shampoo that is specifically made for smalls as she has very sensitive skin - maybe one of the more experienced members would be able to help you with that!

Sorry I can't be of more help! x

(Oh, and welcome to the fold! It's mental and wonderful here! x)

I think tea tree might be too strong for them. A little too potent but I'm not certain. I'm being told coconut oil is a good natural anti-fungal. Which I do have but don't want to use it unless I'm certain its acceptable.

Her ear just stresses me out the longer I look at it. Closer to the bottom it has a large area of flakiness that seems to have gunked up there.

image.jpg

that looks like a well established fungal infection , l would take him to the vets for meds,

my vet always perscribs suralan. and as far as l am concernd it is the best thing for that type
of problem

I plan too tomorrow as long as there is an opening. Any yes/no's for medications for fungal infections?
* she btw - New baby, Luna.

I plan too tomorrow as long as there is an opening. Any yes/no's for medications for fungal infections?
* she btw - New baby, Luna.
Suralan is a general anti fungal anti parasitic, and is listed as an ear drop but , it has let me down , for eradicating fungal problems of that type,

You will find a mixture of opinions on here on fungal and the types of treatment. I always believe in treating the whole pig and not just the affected area to prevent it spreading. I went through a period where a lot of my pigs had fungal and all were treated with Imaverol dips, even those not affected and we managed to get on top of it. I have always been warned against the use of tea tree but I know there is a popular piggy shampoo that has it in.

Just got off the phone with the animal hospital, they have nothing open for me till NEXT WEEK Monday.. Any advice on what to do for her ear while I'm stuck waiting?

Looking at Miconazole cream and Clotrimazole for the fungal. Someone please tell me which is best. I'm slightly uncomfortable putting a human product on her. I'm unaware if it would be too strong for her or some ingredient would be bad on them.

I believe Clotrimazole is in Canesten but it needs to be the nappy rash version which is 1%. Miconazole is Daktarin which I have not used myself but others on here have. I would go with Clotrimazole until the vet is able to see you. Just make sure it is the nappy rash one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back