• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

kaitlynlovesgpigsx

New Born Pup
Reaction score
so toby our 2.5 year old pig was found on saturday covered in drool. he went straight to vet who as having experience with pig teeth we knew he had malocclusion.
vet says that yes back teeth were slightly overgrown but biggest issue was one in particular where food had gotten stuck round the tooth...
long story short he got knocked out and got the whole mouth MOT. came round fine. found no abscesses or anything so we’ve got no meds for him.
we are one day post op and he’s still struggling to eat. he wasn’t too bad yesterday when he came home but as times gone on he’s not really interested. despite this he’s running about and taking cc and some morsels of green well. should i be worried or persist and hope for the best?
please not that we’re in scotland and there’s absolutely no way of going to Simon Maddock as much as i would love to.

I’m no expert but have had two Dentals piggies, so have a little very limited experience.
I would have thought your vet would have given some painkiller/anti-inflammatory med like Meloxicam to take home with you to be taken for a few days. The vet probably gave him a pain killing injection yesterday under anaesthetic so he would spend yesterday without too much pain and comfortable . Now it’s worn off he is probably feeling very sore and beaten up. I’d give the vet a ring and ask for pain relief tomorrow morning and explain he’s not eating well probably due to pain (piggies don’t eat well if they are in any pain) See if he improves over the next few days once he has pain relief x

have a look at the The Guinea pig guides along the green bar, you may need to step in with hand feed him small morsels of veggie and hay if he will take it here’s a link to syringe feeding too, ask your vet for a couple of 1 ml syringes they cost pennies and you will probably get them given free
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

have a look at the The Guinea pig guides along the green bar, you may need to step in with hand feed him small morsels of veggie and hay if he will take it here’s a link to syringe feeding too, ask your vet for a couple of 1 ml syringes they cost pennies and you will probably get them given free
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
thank you sooo much x we’ve had pigs for over 10 years so i’m pretty use to to hand feeding...gonna phone for some metacam tomorrow...got some zantac in the house as well do you think that’s worth giving to him?

thank you sooo much x we’ve had pigs for over 10 years so i’m pretty use to to hand feeding...gonna phone for some metacam tomorrow...got some zantac in the house as well do you think that’s worth giving to him?
I really think you would be best checking with your vet about the Zantac. Good luck and hope everything goes well with your piggie x

gave him a little drop as we’ve had a pig in the past that it helped after a dental...worked a treat! he had all the snacks and some cc! still going for some metacam tomorrow though x thanks for all your support!

got metacam this morning
went to see a different vet from the same practice and he agreed that his mouth is still sore. looked inside his mouth again but it all looks pretty good. he’s fast asleep right now poor boy must be exhausted ahaha
thanks for your help everyone

Noticed a possible problem above. Isn't zanatc on recall at the moment still? Don't know if it's still oK to give if yours is OK still

latest is that he’s looking a lot brighter and happier. will eat outside the cage as in me handing him bits of food but is very reluctant outside the cage. could it be that this is a learned behaviour...as in if i eat in here my mouth will hurt more? getting a bit desperate here

latest is that he’s looking a lot brighter and happier. will eat outside the cage as in me handing him bits of food but is very reluctant outside the cage. could it be that this is a learned behaviour...as in if i eat in here my mouth will hurt more? getting a bit desperate here
If well Guinea pigs are anything to go by, mine or any past ones will only graze outside the cage on floor time. They won't eat out of my hand, unless it's veg

he’s had a pretty good day in all but i can’t help but feeling so down about the whole thing. i’ve had a pig who did this after his dental and bounced back after about a week but it’s so hard to watch them progress so slowly if at all. i really need to vent lol if someone could drop me a private message i’d be really grateful haha x

Back