• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
Thanks for informing sorry about the thread I'm still a newbie momma :)

I'm having a hard time syringe feeding her now because she just refuses and whines at me all the time. She probably hates me for picking her up every now and then. I cant get a mil in her mouth anymore unlike the other days i dont know what to do 😭 it's stressing me out as well

Should i give her veggies now to amp up her gut?
Thanks for informing sorry about the thread I'm still a newbie momma :)

I'm having a hard time syringe feeding her now because she just refuses and whines at me all the time. She probably hates me for picking her up every now and then. I cant get a mil in her mouth anymore unlike the other days i dont know what to do 😭 it's stressing me out as well

Giving her veggies too soon after/during a gut disturbance (you say her poop is not quite normal yet) will likely cause her gut to get worse and return to soft poops. When you can return to giving veg, it is best to give herbs such as coriander first as they tend to be milder on the tummy. If you do this, and if you notice her poops going too soft, you will have to stop giving them and go back to just hay. It’s hay she needs to gain weight though, veg only makes up 15% of the daily food intake so it wouldn’t make much difference to her weight

you are going to need to be firm in Syringe feeding her. She has had 6 days of a continual weight loss, and while the amount isn’t huge yet, it’s the fact that there is a continual decline which means she is probably not eating enough hay, so you will need to continue syringe feeding her until she feels better

Tapered at the end, formed but kind of wet (like it can be mushed but its formed not diarrhea) kind of poops?

Do we have similar cases wherein recovery for AB is quite longer than expected? (poops aren't still normal after 4 days of stopping AB)

Have you tried wrapping her in a tea towel? I have been doing that with one of my pigs who needs syringe feeding at the moment then letting them sit on your chest so their head is closer to see what you’re doing.
There are quite a few videos on YouTube that helped me. I’ve got a very stubborn boy who wouldn’t stay still just stood there when holding his mouth! :doh:

Have you tried wrapping her in a tea towel? I have been doing that with one of my pigs who needs syringe feeding at the moment then letting them sit on your chest so their head is closer to see what you’re doing.
There are quite a few videos on YouTube that helped me. I’ve got a very stubborn boy who wouldn’t stay still just stood there when holding his mouth! :doh:

I've been exhausting a lot of methods for the past weeks whatever works at the moment honestly. Ill try that one with the chest sounds like a good plan, yea my girl is stubborn as well but it must be done. We've been covering 5-6 cc of syringe feeding every 2 hours it looks like a long way to go. Poor pig she's been whining nonstop and it breaks my heart aye

Yes it’s so hard syringe feeding a piggy that doesn’t want it so completely understand. When he’s really wriggly ive been holding him and syringe and my partner has been holding his mouth which has been so much quicker. Have you got someone that could help?

My other piggy (snow - the more energetic one though she also had the same AB course as poppy) is pooping like this now. It was getting better a couple of days ago but this happened. She's eating A LOT of hay as you can see in the backround she's currently munching on some and always drinking water. She's always having zoomies around the enclosure as well so i dont see anything wrong.

1) is she dehydrated? But she always drinks a lot of water as i can see their water bowls

2) should i give her veggies separated from my other sow?

IMG_20201014_204202.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20201014_204205.jpg
    IMG_20201014_204205.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20201014_204202.jpg
    IMG_20201014_204202.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20201014_204202.jpg
    IMG_20201014_204202.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 1
Unfortunately i have no one with me so it's really hard 😭
Yes it’s so hard syringe feeding a piggy that doesn’t want it so completely understand. When he’s really wriggly ive been holding him and syringe and my partner has been holding his mouth which has been so much quicker. Have you got someone that could help?

I would not give veg if poops are soft and abnormal. Keep off veg and continue to feed hay until things stabilise

Do you have any ideas why her poos are like that? She's drinking and eating normally ( a lot) but her poos are tear shaped

It’s often a sign of a gut disturbance. The bacteria in the gut are out of sync. The antibiotics can cause it and it can take some time before things reestablish. The probiotics can help (poop soup would be better but given both your piggies are having issues, that isn’t an option available to you).

all I can really suggest in addition to the advice already given is to speak to your vet if things aren’t improving

It’s often a sign of a gut disturbance. The bacteria in the gut are out of sync. The antibiotics can cause it and it can take some time before things reestablish. The probiotics can help (poop soup would be better but given both your piggies are having issues, that isn’t an option available to you).

all I can really suggest in addition to the advice already given is to speak to your vet if things aren’t improving

Thank you! Hopefully this is just something mild and everything will go back to normal for them as they're improving so much compared to the past weeks and days. Good thing is that ive managed to get poppy's weight around 600 grams again and snow's increased today as well

They appear to have improved but still have that tail at the end. But no veggies until they’re back to normal.

Update: we are back on normal looking poops. However it's alarming me that poppy has lost around 50g last time i weighed her (October 15) she was 607 grams then went down to 568 grams on October 17th and then another loss on that day the evening she was at about 553 g. I'm worried now but she has a good appetite she always eats hay and drinks a lot of fluids as well. She eats her pellets so much too! She popcorns and has zoomies for the past 2 days also :(IMG_20201018_095635.jpg

Update: we are back on normal looking poops. However it's alarming me that poppy has lost around 50g last time i weighed her (October 15) she was 607 grams then went down to 568 grams on October 17th and then another loss on that day the evening she was at about 553 g. I'm worried now but she has a good appetite she always eats hay and drinks a lot of fluids as well. She eats her pellets so much too! She popcorns and has zoomies for the past 2 days also :(View attachment 155863

The poops do look better.

keep da check on her weight. At that amount of loss you go onto alert. This guide Weight - Monitoring and Management explains weight loss and what to do about it

UPDATE: weighed her again just now and she's on (550 grams) she loss about 3 grams. Should i feed her carrots to compensate for the weight loss? Or start syringe feeding again? Her poops are now normal and she's jollier and keeps on eating hay but her weight loss is unexplainable 😭

Update: we are back on normal looking poops. However it's alarming me that poppy has lost around 50g last time i weighed her (October 15) she was 607 grams then went down to 568 grams on October 17th and then another loss on that day the evening she was at about 553 g. I'm worried now but she has a good appetite she always eats hay and drinks a lot of fluids as well. She eats her pellets so much too! She popcorns and has zoomies for the past 2 days also :(View attachment 155863

Back