• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Tyler*123

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My piggy isn't moving eating or drinking, or making any noise, he was fine this morning but as I came home from college my mum found him in isn't cage limp, she thinks it was fighting with my other pig, she separated them and he is still in the same state he is moving more but still not much, I am only 16 and cannot take him or afford the vet right now any suggestions?

My piggy isn't moving eating or drinking, or making any noise, he was fine this morning but as I came home from college my mum found him in isn't cage limp, she thinks it was fighting with my other pig, she separated them and he is still in the same state he is moving more but still not much, I am only 16 and cannot take him or afford the vet right now any suggestions?

He does need to see a vet I'm afraid and sooner rather than later- perhaps explain the financial situation to the vet and they'll let you pay it back in installments? Or will your parents pay if you do chores/offer to pay them back?

Have you checked him over for any bites or scratches? Any signs he had had a fight with his friend?

Is he toileting? Breathing ok?

Until you see a vet make sure he is eating I advise syringe feeding him mashed up pellets and syringing him water if he isn't drinking. Keep him warm and massage his limbs/belly especially if he isn't really moving.

If there aren't signs that he's been in a fight I wouldn't separate them as being alone from his friend is only going to stress him out and as he's ill it won't help.

Unfortunately she's can't drive so wouldn't be able to take him to vet until tomorrow, I've tried giving him some water but he wouldn't really drink it, when I put him back it my other pig kept attacking him so I thought I'd separate them over night, he has a few bites that look fresh and he is making little grunting noises when he breaths and his chest is moving unusual to normal too, when he tries to move it's like his head is too big for his body, thank you for all the help just don't want him to be in any pain

Unfortunately she's can't drive so wouldn't be able to take him to vet until tomorrow, I've tried giving him some water but he wouldn't really drink it, when I put him back it my other pig kept attacking him so I thought I'd separate them over night, he has a few bites that look fresh and he is making little grunting noises when he breaths and his chest is moving unusual to normal too, when he tries to move it's like his head is too big for his body, thank you for all the help just don't want him to be in any pain

Is there no one else who could drive you perhaps? I'm tagging two more experienced members who might be able to tell you what to do in the mean time but a vet is needed here I'm afraid. It sounds like he is in pain. Are the bites deep? Are they still bleeding? Is his nose clear of blood?
@Wiebke @sport_billy

Unfortunately not:( they are not bleeding any more and don't seem to deep and his nose is clear, they usually have little fights but has never gone this extreme

Hi! I am very sorry, but this classes as a life and death emergency. You really need to see a vet asap!
This is not a little fight gone overboard, but your guinea pig is severely ill and his body is in the process of closing down the longer you wait.

Please show your mother this link here: List Of Life And Death Out-of-hours Emergencies

Wash any bite marks with sea salt mixed with cooled, boiled water to prevent infection. It could be that he is in shock from the fight however he needs to see a vet asap as they are the only people with the experience to tell you what is wrong with your pig. If he is not eating he needs to be syringe fed in order to keep his gut moving. If you have no emergency food mush up some pellets. Good luck!

Thank you all, he seems to be moving a little more however when I try feed him or give him water he just moves his head as if he is refusing

Thank you all, he seems to be moving a little more however when I try feed him or give him water he just moves his head as if he is refusing
It's very important that you get him to eat as guinea pigs digestive systems are designed to have food going through them constantly and without it his body will shut down. Have you got a syringe you could use to feed him with?

Yes, I will try that now he just seems very annoyed at me for trying to give him water and I didn't want him to further hurt him, is it possible to choke him when syringe feeding him or am I just worrying to much?

It is possible that one of the deep bites has reached a vital spot and your boy is going into shock. He may already not be able to process food any longer and that is the reason he refuses it.

When trying t syringe feed, please do not force any water or feed into his mouth than he can hold. Start with just 0.2 (1/5) of a small syringe to see whether he is still able to swallow and chew.

I'm going to try him with mashed up cucumber(his fave) to start with then give him some pellets

I would really advise seeing a vet if you can ASAP! Poor little thing sounds in pain :(

Syringe feed him very slowly and don't put it to far back. Darcy and Daisy once had a fight that resulted in Darcy being very shocked. She was very shaky and was breathing rapidly however she was back to normal within ten minutes. It is very possible your pig is in shock but since it isn't getting much better it's vital he sees a vet asap.

Thank goodness he's eaten some cucumber! That can only be a good sign. Keep going with the syringe feeding! Could you contact a local vet emergency line by phone for advice, or to serif they can do a call out? x

Syringe feed & water via a syringe, otherwise his body will shut down. Wiebke gives you good advice on that above

Yes it is possible for him to choke when syringe fed. Do it slowly & don't push it down the throat, aim for the inside, cheek & youll be fine.

I'm sorry to say you have to get him to the vet, it's cruel to leave him in pain.

Last edited:
Back