• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Post Ill Guinea Pig - Mild Uri And Neutering Plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

EmilyRoseMartin

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,
I got 2 male guinea pigs about 6 months ago. Sadly it's been a rough jouney with them as 1 passed away last week with a URI that just took its toll on him even after 2 types of antibiotics were tried.
The other male that has been left behind is very lonely, however he did have the same infection but he's finished his course of antibiotics and seems to of got over it.
A friend has 2 female guinea pigs along with a hutch that she is happy to give me as she's ran out of time for them. For now the 2 females and 1 male would be kept in separate housing until I feel it is safe to castrate the male.
As the male has had a mild form of a URI am I safe to have 2 more guinea pigs as they will be in separate housing? Is there any risk of them catching anything even if it looks like he's got over the infection now?
Thanks for any help!
Emily :)

It should be fine to have them next door, even if he was still poorly. A URI in guinea pigs is caused by bacteria rather than a virus, and so is not easily transmitted through the air. When you do go for getting him neutered, make sure you go to a vet that is experienced in castrating guinea pigs in particular. I would try to go to one that a local rescue uses as they will have loads of ops under their belt.

It should be fine to have them next door, even if he was still poorly. A URI in guinea pigs is caused by bacteria rather than a virus, and so is not easily transmitted through the air. When you do go for getting him neutered, make sure you go to a vet that is experienced in castrating guinea pigs in particular. I would try to go to one that a local rescue uses as they will have loads of ops under their belt.
Thank you for your reply! I will definatly make sure to go to a experienced vet practice for the castration!
As he has had a mild URI.... would this be more risky for him to be castrated? As I know small animals in general are more at risk under anaesthetic? Thanks again !

Thank you for your reply! I will definatly make sure to go to a experienced vet practice for the castration!
As he has had a mild URI.... would this be more risky for him to be castrated? As I know small animals in general are more at risk under anaesthetic? Thanks again !

Please wait until your boy has fully recovered from his URI before risking an operation!
Here are our post-op tips. Please take care about which vet you choose; it can make really all the difference as to recovery and post-op complications. We have got a recommended UK vets locator on the top bar, but may be able to link to a list of recommended vets in some other countries.
Tips For Post-operative Care

You also need to factor in a full 6 weeks post-op wait until your boy is 100% safe to go with sows, especially if your girls are over 1 year old (increased risk of birthing complications) - whatever your vet tells you! I have got the daughter of a supposedly safe over 5 weeks post neutering op boar amongst my piggies, just to prove this point, and I have since heard of other cases. All the good standard guinea pig rescues in the UK with a boar netuering policy practise the 6 weeks wait and never had an accidental pregnancy.

You can still keep your boar next door to the girls for mutual stimulation during his postop recovery and - once he is over his URI - with safe nose to nose interaction through the bars.

As we have members from all over the world, we find it very helpful if you please added your Country, state/province or UK county to your details, so we can tailor any advice directly to what is relevant for you. click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location. Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back