• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

AdamFrench

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, our 18 month old sow had surgery 41 hours ago to remove a mammary cyst and nipple, and a sebaceous cyst from her rump. Each has produced a 50mm stitched wound, knitted with dissolvable stitches. She's still a lot less active but is eating hay and veggies from my hand and some on her own and I'm topping her up with syringes of food and water. She was steady 1214g before surgery, then 1240 when she can out, since surgery she's gradually dropped back to 1210 so not a massive loss. She has a follow up app tomorrow so will speak to the vet about these queries but just wanted some advice

She's pooing frequently, still irregular shapes and soft, but it seems to be getting stuck before it falls from her bum, 1 or 2 end up stuck together in the opening, could this be the abdominal wound cause pain and stopping her pushing?

She doesn't seem to be weeing properly either it seems to trickle out and run down her legs instead of spraying out. She's also sitting in one spot and just weeing where she is so it's covering her legs, belly and back end. I'm worried about it infecting her belly wound.

It's going to be very difficult to clean near the belly wound with it being underneath her I can't lift her to clean it, anyone had any experience with this

I put her with her companion to see the reaction and there was lots of loud chattering from both and the other one was interested in her stitches so I separated them with a divider between the two. But now into the second 24hours and her partner has started chewing bars and trying to break down the barrier. But when you let them together they start chattering at grumbling again, A LOT!

Apologies for the large post, we've never been through a guinea surgery before!

Hi, our 18 month old sow had surgery 41 hours ago to remove a mammary cyst and nipple, and a sebaceous cyst from her rump. Each has produced a 50mm stitched wound, knitted with dissolvable stitches. She's still a lot less active but is eating hay and veggies from my hand and some on her own and I'm topping her up with syringes of food and water. She was steady 1214g before surgery, then 1240 when she can out, since surgery she's gradually dropped back to 1210 so not a massive loss. She has a follow up app tomorrow so will speak to the vet about these queries but just wanted some advice

She's pooing frequently, still irregular shapes and soft, but it seems to be getting stuck before it falls from her bum, 1 or 2 end up stuck together in the opening, could this be the abdominal wound cause pain and stopping her pushing?

She doesn't seem to be weeing properly either it seems to trickle out and run down her legs instead of spraying out. She's also sitting in one spot and just weeing where she is so it's covering her legs, belly and back end. I'm worried about it infecting her belly wound.

It's going to be very difficult to clean near the belly wound with it being underneath her I can't lift her to clean it, anyone had any experience with this

I put her with her companion to see the reaction and there was lots of loud chattering from both and the other one was interested in her stitches so I separated them with a divider between the two. But now into the second 24hours and her partner has started chewing bars and trying to break down the barrier. But when you let them together they start chattering at grumbling again, A LOT!

Apologies for the large post, we've never been through a guinea surgery before!

It sounds like the muscles that operated the anus have been affected. Please chivvy your girl in a tunnel to lift her up and clean the area. Just avoid putting any pressure on the operated areas.
With no bladder control, you will need to change the area where she sits at least twice daily in order to keep it as dry and clean as possible. Give her regular bum and foot baths to prevent urine scald and foot infections.

Please also start topping her up on syringe feed and water and weighing her daily at the same time in order to monitor her food intake. Remember that 80% is hay, which you cannot control. Soft poos usually indicate a lack of fibre in the diet. This should help to firm up the poos. Your syringe feeding care can really make a major difference in an operation recovery. If you haven't got any recovery formula at home or from your vet, please use mushed up pellets and follow the tips in the guide on how to prep the syringe tip. Place any hay and water close by.

I would not try an introduction on neutral ground until your girl is better in herself and stable, but you may have a plan B in case they won't go back with each other. A medical separation is one of the biggest causes for adult piggy fall-outs.

Tips For Post-operative Care
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig
Illustrated Bonding / Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics
Introducing And Re-introducing Guinea Pigs

Thanks Wiebeke!

I'm trying with a tunnel but the incision is in front of her rear leg so I can't get in without lifting her leg and causing pressure.

How often can I bath her and will it cause any problem for the wound to get wet? How do I dry her properly around the wound?

She isn't keen on critical care but loves mashed up pellets

They used to enjoy each other's company but were never as close as their first companionships - they were two bereaved pigs before bonding.

I have had pigs that have had simular problems , ! Am I correct in assuming that your sow had a full mamory strip ?

Bathing! Personaly I would not even consider bathing till the wound is completely headed! It could tear internal stitches as well as external stitches! ! If anything a light whipe over the wound with a cotton wool pad that has been soaked in warm salt water

Unfortunately I'm not sure? It wasn't explained to me that way but that is probably my lack of understanding. She had a mamary cyst which was squirting blood from the nipple so she has taken the cyst and the nipple.

I've got some antibacterial wet wipes so iv been cleaning with those for the time being.

I have had pigs that have had simular problems , ! Am I correct in assuming that your sow had a full mamory strip ?

Bathing! Personaly I would not even consider bathing till the wound is completely headed! It could tear internal stitches as well as external stitches! ! If anything a light whipe over the wound with a cotton wool pad that has been soaked in warm salt water

My partner has returned home to find her companion has jumped over the divider (which is the height of a c&c grid) into the post op Guineas area with no signs of injury or fighting.

They look very comfortable together. Should we separate them again?

Unfortunately I'm not sure? It wasn't explained to me that way but that is probably my lack of understanding. She had a mamary cyst which was squirting blood from the nipple so she has taken the cyst and the nipple.

I've got some antibacterial wet wipes so iv been cleaning with those for the time being.

Antibacterial wipes are great!

Re the the operation on the cyst and nipple!
Due to the posebilaty of the cyst being canceous , Often a vet will do what is called a "mamery strip"
The mammary gland is not confined to just under and around the nipple! It covers quite a larg area that starts just above the hind leg and finishes just below the breast bone, ! Often a vet will remove the whole gland to reduce the possibly of reoceance

Ah I see. Unfortunately i don't know if that's the case. She just said we'll take the nipple as well so I don't know

Antibacterial wipes are great!

Re the the operation on the cyst and nipple!
Due to the posebilaty of the cyst being canceous , Often a vet will do what is called a "mamery strip"
The mammary gland is not confined to just under and around the nipple! It covers quite a larg area that starts just above the hind leg and finishes just below the breast bone, ! Often a vet will remove the whole gland to reduce the possibly of reoceance

You can always ring the vet clinic and ask for confirmation. I would also recommend to report the peeing problems and ask how you best deal with keeping her clean.

I would not bathe her fully until the scar has knitted within 10-14 days, just give her gentle wipes.

You can always ring the vet clinic and ask for confirmation. I would also recommend to report the peeing problems and ask how you best deal with keeping her clean.

I would not bathe her fully until the scar has knitted within 10-14 days, just give her gentle wipes.

Thanks, yes were there tomorrow so will mention all concerns.

Things have gotten out of hand with their companionship really.. We've had to put an huge divider between the two of them to stop the Belle (the little one), getting into Tao's (post-op piggie) half of their pen. I wanted them to be able to see each other but we've had to wrap the cage in fleece as Belle won't stop chewing the bars. She jumped over the original divider and has bitten Tao on the lip, which is now very swollen and red, with a small puncture wound.

Thanks, yes were there tomorrow so will mention all concerns.

Things have gotten out of hand with their companionship really.. We've had to put an huge divider between the two of them to stop the Belle (the little one), getting into Tao's (post-op piggie) half of their pen. I wanted them to be able to see each other but we've had to wrap the cage in fleece as Belle won't stop chewing the bars. She jumped over the original divider and has bitten Tao on the lip, which is now very swollen and red, with a small puncture wound.

Ouch! It rather looks like they won't go back together again. I am very sorry for all the upsets!

I have recently had a similar experience with a piggy who got a post operative haematoma after being neutered. He became incontinent of urine, it just dripped out and also his poohs were misshapen. I put it down to swelling affecting the area around the urethra and anal canal.
I nursed him on vet bed which is fantastic at keeping them dry. I also trimmed the hair in the area so it didn't get soiled. I cleaned him with baby wipes. He was on antibiotics to help prevent wound infection plus painkillers and gut stimulant.
He also needed regular syringe feeding.
It took a long time for things to settle but he is now on the road to recovery. I hope your little one does well

I bet! Your poor Tao has been through enough and now her friend has bitten her too! What must she be thinking?

I have recently had a similar experience with a piggy who got a post operative haematoma after being neutered. He became incontinent of urine, it just dripped out and also his poohs were misshapen. I put it down to swelling affecting the area around the urethra and anal canal.
I nursed him on vet bed which is fantastic at keeping them dry. I also trimmed the hair in the area so it didn't get soiled. I cleaned him with baby wipes. He was on antibiotics to help prevent wound infection plus painkillers and gut stimulant.
He also needed regular syringe feeding.
It took a long time for things to settle but he is now on the road to recovery. I hope your little one does well
Thanks for the experience

I bet! Your poor Tao has been through enough and now her friend has bitten her too! What must she be thinking?

I know! Well she is the dominant of the two usually, so have shown her dominance on the litte one through their time together and now Belle has bitten her. Is it possible Belle could be pushing for alpha while Tao is weak?

Ouch! It rather looks like they won't go back together again. I am very sorry for all the upsets!
Would this mean we'd have to get new partners for both of them or is side by side enough contact? Just we wouldn't be able to look after 3 or 4 piggies

Back