• Dying, terminal illness and euthanasia: New sensitive support guide for guinea pig owners Please Click Here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Scab On The Back Of Guinea Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Callia

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello! Today I took out my guinea pig, Galibi, and as I petted her I noticed something rough in her hair. At first I thought something small was caught in it, but I decided to move back her hair and found that she instead had a scab. She does not share her cage with another pigs and when I touched the scab she did not seem irritated. I have not noticed her biting or scratching around the spot and she has been acting very happy as usual. I've done other research and I have not seen any mites or lice in her hair (then again, I could be wrong. The lighting is terrible in my room) nor have I found any other scabs, etc. She also doesn't seem to have many symptoms of scurvy either. She seems to be eating and drinking well. She has not had any hair loss, just that of what I believe to be a winter coat, but that was over a month ago. The scab is hidden by her hair, but I can still feel it while petting her. I can guarantee that the scab was not there less than a week ago, too. Do you guys have any idea what could be wrong? Could it be mites or a lack of Vitamin C? Also she is just over a year old. Say, a year and four months?

Callia

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have also noticed a fly or something flying about my room and sometimes I see nats. Could something like that have bitten Galibi and caused her to scratch enough to receive a scab?

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello! Today I took out my guinea pig, Galibi, and as I petted her I noticed something rough in her hair. At first I thought something small was caught in it, but I decided to move back her hair and found that she instead had a scab. She does not share her cage with another pigs and when I touched the scab she did not seem irritated. I have not noticed her biting or scratching around the spot and she has been acting very happy as usual. I've done other research and I have not seen any mites or lice in her hair (then again, I could be wrong. The lighting is terrible in my room) nor have I found any other scabs, etc. She also doesn't seem to have many symptoms of scurvy either. She seems to be eating and drinking well. She has not had any hair loss, just that of what I believe to be a winter coat, but that was over a month ago. The scab is hidden by her hair, but I can still feel it while petting her. I can guarantee that the scab was not there less than a week ago, too. Do you guys have any idea what could be wrong? Could it be mites or a lack of Vitamin C? Also she is just over a year old. Say, a year and four months?
Hi! Mange mites are not visible to naked eye, but the scab can be just from scratching or it can be a burst small cyst. Please see a vet if you are in doubt and don't home treat on spec, especially not with low-dosed broad spectrum shop products that are not geared to deal efficiently with an acute outbreak and can do more harm than good.

Since we have members from all over the world, we find it helpful if you please added your country, state/province or UK county to your details, so we can tailor any advice to what is really available and doable where you are straight away and don't have to keep any advice as general as possible. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location.

Callia

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thank you! I had the same idea! For now I will just watch and see if any more scabs pop up.

Callia

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! Mange mites are not visible to naked eye, but the scab can be just from scratching or it can be a burst small cyst. Please see a vet if you are in doubt and don't home treat on spec, especially not with low-dosed broad spectrum shop products that are not geared to deal efficiently with an acute outbreak and can do more harm than good.

Since we have members from all over the world, we find it helpful if you please added your country, state/province or UK county to your details, so we can tailor any advice to what is really available and doable where you are straight away and don't have to keep any advice as general as possible. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location.
I believe she might have mites. She has a bit of dandruff and dry skin on her bum, but the scabs are gone now (pet store worker suggested antibiotic ointment, which I believe worked). Most of the dandruff is around her bum, but not really around her head or ears or upper back. Is there any inexpensive treatment I can use? Something I can make or buy at a store that will be reliable? I don't think there is an exotic vet nearby.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I believe she might have mites. She has a bit of dandruff and dry skin on her bum, but the scabs are gone now (pet store worker suggested antibiotic ointment, which I believe worked). Most of the dandruff is around her bum, but not really around her head or ears or upper back. Is there any inexpensive treatment I can use? Something I can make or buy at a store that will be reliable? I don't think there is an exotic vet nearby.
Guinea Lynx :: Mange Mites This is a US-based link, so they list trustworthy brands available where you are. You may have to order online.
Gorgeous Guineas Identification
You are right, there are no recommended piggy-savvy vets listed for your state. :(

Callia

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Guinea Lynx :: Mange Mites This is a US-based link, so they list trustworthy brands available where you are. You may have to order online.
Gorgeous Guineas Identification
You are right, there are no recommended piggy-savvy vets listed for your state. :(
I know she is shedding, but I cleaned out her cage today and I noticed this. I think she has just started cause I didn't see anything similar in her cage.20160701_173716.jpg20160701_173716.jpg 20160701_173803.jpg 20160701_173632.jpg

Adelle

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
The hair with skin attatched to the ends would point more to fungal i would say, but its best to have your vet advise you of the best course of treatment x

Status
Not open for further replies.