• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
Status
Not open for further replies.

Celine298

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Today is the day, my little boy Sunny is going for 'the snip'.

Not only did I feel soooo guilty last night for not feeding him (his 12hr fast began at 9.00pm) but I'm also really worried about his operation today!

My vet is excellent, all our pets have been to them in the past. They are well versed in exotic animals, didn't even bat an eyelid when I made my appointment for Sunny. This summer, they managed to bring my mother's cat back from the brink of death after it accidentally inhaled poison vapor from weedkiller... that's a pretty big confidence booster for me, but I'm still nervous.

I've cared for several pets of all sizes after they've had operations, I don't know why I'm panicking so much about Sunny!

I've read all the info this forum has to offer and I'm hoping you guys can support me through this thread in the next few weeks if I have any questions.

I'll leave you with a little pic of him after is bath last night, I'm off to pop him in his box for his journey to the vet :bye:

20161117_215745.jpg

I really hope all goes well. Castrates are generally very easy ops and none of my boys have ever sufferd afterwards from anaesthetic or post op issues. It's scary that first time, but if you have a good experience then if you need to have any piggies have ops in the future it will be far less scary and stressful!

However I can't help be worried that you were advised to starve him before his surgery. Guineas and rabbits / other rodent should never be starved. Firstly they cannot vomit so it's pointless. Secondly it is essential that they have food moving through their gut at all time...

Yes my vet just said that now. The nurse made a mistake.... luckily I brought food with me for him so she's going to feed him up before his operation! She operated on her own guinea pigs herself and theyre all good so that made me a little more relieved :)

Wishing your little guy all the best for his neutering. So glad you had some food with you for him. Let us know how he gets on x

Yes my vet just said that now. The nurse made a mistake.... luckily I brought food with me for him so she's going to feed him up before his operation! She operated on her own guinea pigs herself and theyre all good so that made me a little more relieved :)

Oopsie! Good job the vet picked up on it. I'm sure he will be fine :)

Sunny is finally home!

Vet was very happy with him, he pooped and peed and ate a little before I collected him which is all good news :)
I have popped him into his cage now with loads of blankets and a little of his favorite veg. I 'm going to let him rest for a few hours and check on him later! so happy to have him home :wub:

Awww... what a gorgeous lad! :wub:
Wishing you a speedy recovery Sunny :hug:

Everything seems to be going well this morning. He ate a tiny amount of food during the night, which is better than nothing, and is walking around. He also ate two slices of apple out of my hand this morning. I think having Lola next door to him is what's helping him so much, she comes over to the partition and chatters away to him, and they boop noses through the bars :wub:

He spat out most of his painkiller but he doesn't seem to be in too much pain, more like discomfort.
More updates later :)

How is your boy?

How old can they be neutered?

He's doing good, not eating loads but he might be still a little sick from the anesthetic. He' bright and moving about though :)
I'm not sure the minimum age, my guy is 10 months old. I think from the advice here they can be as young as 3 months if you want to get them neutered

My Rowan was neutered by his Rescue at 3months old. No issues, but the vet very experienced i imagine, as the rescue i go to neuters all the boys before re-homing.

I think you should check with your vet though, i think they also need to be happy that the piggy is of good weight and health before the operation as well.

Rowan is very happy he was neutered, he is really quite attached now to the 3 girls living with him :luv:

3Tyger, to tell the truth I feel bad about getting him because he will be on his own for a bit but I couldn't walk out of that shop without him. He's adorable!

I'm phoning my vets now. He is very experienced with piggies...I just feel that I have done the wrong thing and I'm not good enough...

FIamestriker, i didn't know you'd got a new piggy yet, i'll check your threads :)

Celine - So happy that Sunny is eating and being brave, and that Lola is cheering him on through the partition, that's so cute! :luv:

Hope it continues to go well Sunny :hug:

You are doing well Sunny! Have a chat to my new pig and reassure him that everything will be fine. You are so brave for your mummy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back