• Halloween themed fun Photo Competition Out-takes Click here

Some Advice For Handling / Bonding? Also An Odd Noise!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoiNoi

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello all!

Some of you may know, recently we had a loss in my household as little Ozzy passed away. :( It's been a short while now, and yesterday we went to rehome some rescue piggies from a close-by shelter. We held many of the little sweethearts, but eventually, we decided on a pair to take home!

Ivy, our female, and Banksy, a neutered male.

The car-journey was rough for them, so they've done little else but hide and scamper at the sight of movement. They have been eating, Banksy in particular has devoured much of what was supposed to be a shared broccoli, and they're cuddling up in their little pigloo!

I decided, since I had held them before, to try and get them accustomed at home.

So I try to pick up Ivy, who really wasn't for it at first. Eventually I got her on my lap in a towel, and she was quite happy to munch on veg and trying to be nosey, sniffing here there and everywhere. She seemed fairly settled, but she was making a constant, light, bubbling, muffled squeaking noise. If anyone can give me a heads up on what that noise means, please do tell!

So back she goes, and out comes Banksy. He was the easiest to lift out, but things seemed to go pear shaped from there. He did have a few mouthfuls of food, but he did not settle easily. Trying to run up me, or to the side of me. Not wanting to stress him out too much, I placed him back in his cage (and the two of them have taken a monumental huff with me and are hiding away)

Do you think I maybe initiated handling too soon? Should I leave them for a few more days? And is there an easier way to accustom Banksy, if so? Any advice would be much welcome!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all!

Some of you may know, recently we had a loss in my household as little Ozzy passed away. :( It's been a short while now, and yesterday we went to rehome some rescue piggies from a close-by shelter. We held many of the little sweethearts, but eventually, we decided on a pair to take home!

Ivy, our female, and Banksy, a neutered male.

The car-journey was rough for them, so they've done little else but hide and scamper at the sight of movement. They have been eating, Banksy in particular has devoured much of what was supposed to be a shared broccoli, and they're cuddling up in their little pigloo!

I decided, since I had held them before, to try and get them accustomed at home.

So I try to pick up Ivy, who really wasn't for it at first. Eventually I got her on my lap in a towel, and she was quite happy to munch on veg and trying to be nosey, sniffing here there and everywhere. She seemed fairly settled, but she was making a constant, light, bubbling, muffled squeaking noise. If anyone can give me a heads up on what that noise means, please do tell!

So back she goes, and out comes Banksy. He was the easiest to lift out, but things seemed to go pear shaped from there. He did have a few mouthfuls of food, but he did not settle easily. Trying to run up me, or to the side of me. Not wanting to stress him out too much, I placed him back in his cage (and the two of them have taken a monumental huff with me and are hiding away)

Do you think I maybe initiated handling too soon? Should I leave them for a few more days? And is there an easier way to accustom Banksy, if so? Any advice would be much welcome!
Please leave them to settle in for a bit longer, especially after a fairly rough journey and settling in new quarters. Make friends with them slowly. What Ivy did was likely the "I am very apprehensive about this" chatter to stay in vocal contact with her mate; volume, pitch and intensity give you an idea whether things are just an "all is fine here while I am on the move", "I am feeling somewhat stressed and am not quite happy" to "I am very excited".

Please take your time to read through these guides here. You may find them helpful in finding your "piggy whispering" feet:
How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?
How To Understand Guinea Pig Instincts And Speak Piggy Body Language
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig
Travelling with guinea pigs

NoiNoi

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Please leave them to settle in for a bit longer, especially after a fairly rough journey and settling in new quarters. Make friends with them slowly. What Ivy did was likely the "I am very apprehensive about this" chatter to stay in vocal contact with her mate; volume, pitch and intensity give you an idea whether things are just an "all is fine here while I am on the move", "I am feeling somewhat stressed and am not quite happy" to "I am very excited".

Please take your time to read through these guides here. You may find them helpful in finding your "piggy whispering" feet:
How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?
How To Understand Guinea Pig Instincts And Speak Piggy Body Language
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig
Travelling with guinea pigs
Thank you very much! I've been giving them a read through, but I'll leave them longer still to settle! They're really lovely piggies and I don't want to upset them.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you very much! I've been giving them a read through, but I'll leave them longer still to settle! They're really lovely piggies and I don't want to upset them.
I generally wait with handling until they are happy in their cage and are taking veg off me unless there is a medical problem. Taking it slowly at the beginning will mean that you move on much quicker later on once they have started to trust you. ;)

All the best! Glad that you have found a pair you have already fallen in love with! It is not at all easy to withstand temptation at first.

NoiNoi

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I generally wait with handling until they are happy in their cage and are taking veg off me unless there is a medical problem. Taking it slowly at the beginning will mean that you move on much quicker later on once they have started to trust you. ;)

All the best! Glad that you have found a pair you have already fallen in love with! It is not at all easy to withstand temptation at first.
I'll do just that! I think I mistook being out in the cage and openly eating veg for signs of complacency, silly me!

One thing I've noticed is, when moving around, (and sometimes in their pigloo.) They'll rumble to each other? It's fairly low, a bit lower than a purr. I'd have thought it was discontentment but there seems to be no body-language to follow it? Just walking about, eating, rumbling. They were even sitting directly next to one another and just rumbling away while chewing, which makes me wonder if it really is annoyance..?

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'll do just that! I think I mistook being out in the cage and openly eating veg for signs of complacency, silly me!

One thing I've noticed is, when moving around, (and sometimes in their pigloo.) They'll rumble to each other? It's fairly low, a bit lower than a purr. I'd have thought it was discontentment but there seems to be no body-language to follow it? Just walking about, eating, rumbling. They were even sitting directly next to one another and just rumbling away while chewing, which makes me wonder if it really is annoyance..?
I think it is going really well, you are certainly getting there everything sounds positive. Just a little bit longer. Our new baby has just started taking food off me in the cage this morning at the bars bt she is learning off our older too so it helps...

Piggies do rumble at each other like that, nothing to worry about. I would imagine they are saying this is my bit of food stick to your own... Ours will chunter at each other if they are sitting by each other eating lettuce, they always want each others!

Status
Not open for further replies.