• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Timid Guinea Pig Or Just Not Settled Yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChloeCee98

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So I got my little guinea pig a few days before Christmas, (12-14 weeks old). I picked her in the shop because she didn't run away when we went to say hello - now I know she was freezing lol!

She has come out of her shell a lot although she still does hide away most of the time and has to be tricked with food to come out or I remove her hide away house. She will only eat if I'm there with her and is to scared to drink from her water bottle (she also has a drink and food bowl). It seems like I have to help her a lot or she will just stay in her house.

Is there anyway I can get her to be more playful and confident so she comes out by herself? We have bonded and she is happy when she sees me and enjoys being petted sometimes!

Welcome to the Forum.
:wel:

It sounds like you are doing a great job with your new piggie.
Although as I am sure you know, guinea pigs really need to be kept in pairs (or larger groups!), so you will find she becomes a lot bolder and more playful if she has a friend.
Sometimes, not matter how wonderful the home is, a guinea pig will still feel scared and lonely when they don't have anyone to speak their own language with.

So the best advice I can offer is keep doing what you are doing, but also look into getting her a friend.
If you could find a local guinea pig rescue that would be ideal, as in many cases you an take your piggie along and she can help choose her new friend.

Welcome to the Forum.
:wel:

It sounds like you are doing a great job with your new piggie.
Although as I am sure you know, guinea pigs really need to be kept in pairs (or larger groups!), so you will find she becomes a lot bolder and more playful if she has a friend.
Sometimes, not matter how wonderful the home is, a guinea pig will still feel scared and lonely when they don't have anyone to speak their own language with.

So the best advice I can offer is keep doing what you are doing, but also look into getting her a friend.
If you could find a local guinea pig rescue that would be ideal, as in many cases you an take your piggie along and she can help choose her new friend.
Her sister was in the pet shop but I work full time and after having a few hamsters over the years I am a bit scared TBH lol! I am in the middle of changing her cage over to a c&c cage then hopefully I can go back and get her sister.

So I got my little guinea pig a few days before Christmas, (12-14 weeks old). I picked her in the shop because she didn't run away when we went to say hello - now I know she was freezing lol!

She has come out of her shell a lot although she still does hide away most of the time and has to be tricked with food to come out or I remove her hide away house. She will only eat if I'm there with her and is to scared to drink from her water bottle (she also has a drink and food bowl). It seems like I have to help her a lot or she will just stay in her house.

Is there anyway I can get her to be more playful and confident so she comes out by herself? We have bonded and she is happy when she sees me and enjoys being petted sometimes!

Hi and welcome!

It is great that your little piggy has settled in so well.

But the greatest joy you can make your guinea pig is by letting her choose a companion at a good rescue; guinea pigs are social animals and not wired to live on their own. You are missing out on the vocal, lively interaction that makes guinea pigs so unique. You can look at either a neutered boar or a sow of any age - main thing, they like each other. An older piggy can bring her out more, as she will take her cues from him/her, especially if the older one is already used to being handled.
As much as we would like a cuddle friend just for us, we cannot be the 24/7 companion that guinea pigs require for the 5-7 years of a normal life span. Sadly Switzerland is still the only country where keeping or selling single guinea pigs is illegal so far!
By going via a good rescue, you make sure that any friend is healthy, properly sexed, guaranteed not pregnant and that your little girl can have a say in who she likes for a happy relationship.
Companionship
Your closest rescues are likely either North East Guinea Pig Rescue in South Shields or Tees Valley Guinea Pig Rescue. Guinea Pig Rescue Centre Locator

You can find more tips on understanding and interacting with your guinea pig via this link here: New Owners' " How To" Starter Kit

She needs to have a friend then you'll see a difference, they should be in pairs

What a little cutie girl!

Has she got a hidey she can feel safe in?

My two love their hidys. One wooden one (open fronted), a tunnel (cardboard) and plastic children's stool and a huuuge pile of hay in an underbed storage box.

She does look pretty.

What a little cutie girl!

Has she got a hidey she can feel safe in?
Yes she does but she will just stay in ther so I remove it from the cage for an hour a day and sit with her and either play stroke or just talk to her. Some days she doesn't like it so I just sit next to the cage. I try my best to talk to her and get her to come out that way...but she just needs a bit of guidance and food to persuade her lol x

Yes she does but she will just stay in ther so I remove it from the cage for an hour a day and sit with her and either play stroke or just talk to her. Some days she doesn't like it so I just sit next to the cage. I try my best to talk to her and get her to come out that way...but she just needs a bit of guidance and food to persuade her lol x

Please have a read through these links here:
How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?
How To Understand Guinea Pig Instincts And Speak Piggy Body Language
How To Pick Up And Weigh Your Guinea Pig

Hopefully her sister is still available, if not then you could always take her dating at a rescue. She's a cutie.

She's very cute! As the others have said, guinea pigs naturally live in groups. An only guinea pig may be a lot more fearful/anxious and may also get bored and be less motivated to do things. It's great that you're thinking of finding her a companion. I bet you'll see a big difference in behavior.

What a beautiful looking girl. And lucky to have found a caring owner who wants the best for her. I'm sure you will see a difference once she has a companion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back