• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Trio Of Sows Experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WinnieandBear

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello!

I currently own two female sows just over 1 year old and as the youngest one is very playful I was thinking of bringing another sow to the pair so she has an equally energetic pig to enjoy her younger years with. The older girl is quite dominant and previously has chased and been quite worrying towards the other girl when they were first bonded however they live happily together now with the odd minor dispute or show of dominance such as shooing the younger girl away from a cosy spot etc.

I was wondering if anybody has any experience of a trio of girls and how they felt it worked out and whether they would advise anything when bringing a young pig to two sows whp already live together? I under the frame of mind that a younger sow would be easier to add as there would be less of a dominance threat to the others.

Thank you!

:) Hope everyones piggies had a lovely christmas!

Hello!

I currently own two female sows just over 1 year old and as the youngest one is very playful I was thinking of bringing another sow to the pair so she has an equally energetic pig to enjoy her younger years with. The older girl is quite dominant and previously has chased and been quite worrying towards the other girl when they were first bonded however they live happily together now with the odd minor dispute or show of dominance such as shooing the younger girl away from a cosy spot etc.

I was wondering if anybody has any experience of a trio of girls and how they felt it worked out and whether they would advise anything when bringing a young pig to two sows whp already live together? I under the frame of mind that a younger sow would be easier to add as there would be less of a dominance threat to the others.

Thank you!

:) Hope everyones piggies had a lovely christmas!

It is easier to add a younger sow although, if at all possible, please consider adding a couple, so you create a mini group with different dynamics. The problem with creating a trio is that there is always a danger that you end up with a 2+1 outsider situation of some sort or other.
Alternatively, you could look for an already neutered rescue boar. He has got the advantage that he needs to get on with both sows in order to mate with them and doesn't interfere with the existing sow hierarchy, either. There is going to be plenty of hanky panky when the sow are coming into season.

It is always recommended to date your guinea pigs at a rescue so you know that acceptance has happened before you bring home any new guinea pigs and you are not at risk of ending up with guinea pigs that don't get on. if you can get to one of our recommended rescues, you also have the security that only healthy and guaranteed not pregnant piggies are being put up for adoption.
Guinea Pig Rescue Centre Locator

My first piggies were a trio of girls, a pair of sisters, and a similar aged piggy. They all got on fine with big bum Blos being the leader, I was lucky although towards the end as they got older, it was clear there was a starting of the divide. I agree with Wiebke, I would be more inclined to add an additional 2 than 1, if the dynamics are already there, whatever they are, then two are better than 1.

We once had a trio of sows (two babies that we introduced to an older girl), and although they all got on fine, two were usually sharing the pigloo (the older one, and one of the younger ones) whilst the other was always left out in the cold, as it were. A trio isn't something I'd set out to do again, I must admit.

I have a trio, first was Peggy and then we got her a friend rose, obviously there was a few days/week of rumbling and dominance behaviour etc until the hierarchy was figured out.

A few months ago we got a very young little piggy Evie and introduced her to the group Peggy became her surrogate mother and protected her from naughty roses dominance, they now all live happily together - obviously there is days where they are constantly rumbling especially as Evie is maturing but in total we've had no issues

Hello, only just managed to get back on this thread thanks to work :mal: Thank you for all of the experiences/opinions. Bear is the more dominant and independent one who in fact likes her space and loves to lounge on her prized blanket *rolls eyes* with no disturbance! So I was thinking that a younger, playful pig would brighten up florries life a bit as Bear is only interested in her own business which is mainly sprawling across a blanket lol. I would probably end up adding another at some point but at this moment in time am unable to get two as I would need to extend the cage too far! I will definitely think things over

Hi! I have a girl trio. So far they are getting along well, and have not had any major fights since I introduced my 3rd sow to my pair in October. I've had the pair for a month before getting the third, but the 3 of them are close in age (3rd sow younger by approx a month). They are 5-6 months old now. My pair, I would say, was bonded before I introduced the third. I would see them grooming each other, and hiding together when they first see me. However, they also like to spend time away from each other in separate igloos. So, I decided to add a third so the girls can have a choice of who to hang out with and not just have 1 guinea friend all the time (me thinking as a human of course). Currently, all 3 like to eat together, and I find them sleeping in the same area. I made sure though that all sleeping/hiding areas can accomodate 3 (except for tunnels), so they can all be together if they choose.
I've also had a trio of boars before my current trio, and they lived together quite harmoniously until they passed away between the ages of 5-8 yrs.

I've always preferred three over two, and I was lucky that my groupings have been working so far. I do have a separate cage if I need to separate them later on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back