• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Very Poorly Pig With Major Weight Loss! Need Info

meggles1410

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi there!

My Maisie has been refusing to eat and drink since last night and haslost far too much weight (she has a chubby belly but can feel ribs etc) and is over all very lethargic! She has made it through the night but vet is stumped and has told me to syringe mushed up pellets and water and see if she improves, I'm going to add pro biotics and Vit C to the mix when I can get some later.

Is it possible to add blitzed oats as well for extra fat? To help keep and put on weight?

I think it's just her old age rather then her actually being medically ill..

IMG_1227.JPG

IMG_1231.JPG

IMG_1232.JPG

I was in the pet shop the other day looking at food, they had rosewood fenugreek treats which said they are an appetite stimulant, my piggies are young with no food issues so I have not tried them myself, but you never know. Hope she feels better soon

hi there!

My Maisie has been refusing to eat and drink since last night and haslost far too much weight (she has a chubby belly but can feel ribs etc) and is over all very lethargic! She has made it through the night but vet is stumped and has told me to syringe mushed up pellets and water and see if she improves, I'm going to add pro biotics and Vit C to the mix when I can get some later.

Is it possible to add blitzed oats as well for extra fat? To help keep and put on weight?

View attachment 71968

View attachment 71969

View attachment 71970
Could you get in touch again with your Vet and ask if they stock Critical Care? It's a powder that's added to or fed instead of the pellet mash. It'll keep her gut stimulated as well as give her all the vitamins etc that she needs while off her food. Give her water via syringe as well as mash etc. Good luck with her.

hi there!

View attachment 71968

View attachment 71969

View attachment 71970

Hi!
Please see a vet asap. Your girl is either very ill or going into organ failure. Lethargy and loss of appetite are major signs of an emergency that need to be seen by a vet there and then; they are not just signs of old age! Just stuffing her with empty calories won't answer.

You can support her with syringe feed and water, but if she is no longer able to process it, she will refuse it emphatically. Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

I was in the pet shop the other day looking at food, they had rosewood fenugreek treats which said they are an appetite stimulant, my piggies are young with no food issues so I have not tried them myself, but you never know. Hope she feels better soon
Our vet told us to give this to our pony when she lost her appetite too!

Our vet told us to give this to our pony when she lost her appetite too!

Please make sure that you see a vet, first and foremost. Home treating on spec can make things a lot worse rather than better. Loss of appetite, major weight loss and lethargy are definitely something that you need to have vet treated, as is your legal obligation.

Can I please remind all members posting on this thread of this.
Health and Illness - Important Information

PS: Please step in with syringe feed support asap as soon as your guinea pig loses more than 50g in a short time or 100g over a long period in order to keep the guts going until you can see a vet and until any treatment is kicking in.

The guts will slow down very quickly and eventually stop working when a guinea pig goes off food. You can use mushed up pellets in a pinch and prep the syringe tip (syringes are available in any pharmacy) as shown in our step by step guide. Also make sure that you offer your girl all the water she wants to take.
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

If your guinea pig is too lethargic to take any feed or is struggling way beyond their feeble strength, then it is because they are usually no longer able to process food. In this case, please do not persist.

As you mentioned a chubby tummy but you can feel ribs makes me think of bloat. That will stop her wanting to eat as she'll feel full and will be in quite a lot of pain.

Please ensure you see a vet immediately, if it is bloat it is life threatening.

Back