• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

What Is The Best First Medicine To Use For My Sow With Cystitis?

PerfectPigs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My (roughly) 5-year-old sow named Olga has been recently showing the symptoms of cystitis. She is making soft squeaking noises when she urinates, has been urinating often and is always damp on her stomach (from the result of urinating a lot). I don't want to try any full-on medicine yet, as she doesn't seem to be in a great amount of pain, so I have a couple of questions.

1. I also have cystitis, and I was thinking if it is ok to give a guinea pig a fifth of a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda (medical kind) mixed well with water, as that is what I have to ease the pain. It probably isn't, but I'm going out on a whim here.
2. Is it ok if I feed her homemade barley water, as I see it is popular, and is there a certain type of barley I am supposed to use for guinea pigs? Also, is there any way of cooking some vegetables with it to make it a bit more pleasant to drink (tried barley water for my cystitis, did not taste good)?

If neither of those are a good option, are there any other alternatives I can use for my guinea pig?
Thanks.

TBH I would want to get her to a vet to be checked rather than making assumptions... It may be cystitis, but it might be something more.

Also, I used barley water alongside antibiotics when my sows have had a UTI. I just boil the barley in water for ten minutes, then drain the water off into a cup. I didn't need to add anything into it, they loved it and would tug on the syringe trying to steal it from me. It went down a storm

TBH I would want to get her to a vet to be checked rather than making assumptions... It may be cystitis, but it might be something more.

Yeah, I was thinking that. I'm going to see how she is in the next couple of days and then maybe take her to the vet depending on how she's feeling.

Also, I used barley water alongside antibiotics when my sows have had a UTI. I just boil the barley in water for ten minutes, then drain the water off into a cup. I didn't need to add anything into it, they loved it and would tug on the syringe trying to steal it from me. It went down a storm

Haha thanks for the advice. Any particular type of barley?

Haha thanks for the advice. Any particular type of barley?

I just bought the dry stuff in a bag from Asda :) The principle behind the barley water is that the viscosity of the fluid will help protect the bladder wall and ease some discomfort. Bear in mind, it's not a cure and it is a holistic treatment. There's no guarantee it will work. But I took the approach that it was an easy way to get extra fluid into my poorly girls and it did seem to help them be more comfortable. If she has a UTI she will need antibiotics. Please keep a close eye on her and consider going to a vet sooner, she sounds uncomfortable.

My (roughly) 5-year-old sow named Olga has been recently showing the symptoms of cystitis. She is making soft squeaking noises when she urinates, has been urinating often and is always damp on her stomach (from the result of urinating a lot). I don't want to try any full-on medicine yet, as she doesn't seem to be in a great amount of pain, so I have a couple of questions.

1. I also have cystitis, and I was thinking if it is ok to give a guinea pig a fifth of a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda (medical kind) mixed well with water, as that is what I have to ease the pain. It probably isn't, but I'm going out on a whim here.
2. Is it ok if I feed her homemade barley water, as I see it is popular, and is there a certain type of barley I am supposed to use for guinea pigs? Also, is there any way of cooking some vegetables with it to make it a bit more pleasant to drink (tried barley water for my cystitis, did not taste good)?

If neither of those are a good option, are there any other alternatives I can use for my guinea pig?
Thanks.

Hi and welcome

The symptoms you are describing cover several different issues and require a proper vet check and appropriate treatment and medication. While barley water can be used to support vet care at home, it cannot heal and cannot replace any necessary medication. Please NEVER just use human home meds on spec on another species or extrapolate from your own human experience. it can, and has, gone horribly wrong and can cause prolonged, severe and unnecessary suffering. The right to vet care is one of the basic animal rights when you get a pet, and it is there for a very good reason!

None of the below problems will go away or improve on their own and without appropriate care. In any case, your guinea pig requires a proper painkiller/anti-inflammatory (NOT a human product which can harm) and depending on the issue, an antibiotic. The choice of antibiotic depends on the nature of the problem and what kind of vet you are seeing.

All these issues present with the same symptoms, but require different treatment and a vet visit!
- womb issues, including pyometra (potentially deadly infection of the womb lining if left untreated); requires an antibiotic or depending on the findings, a spaying operation. My Cariad presented with the symptoms you have mentioned and was found to have a fluid filled grossly enlarge womb that was going pyometric. She also had a most likely cancerous lump in there. She was spayed.
- urinary tract infection (UTI). Requires an antibiotic as it is caused by faecal bacteria.
- bladder stones or sludge. Always a possibility that needs to be eliminated by your vet. They will require an operation for removal. They do not disappear on their own.
- cystitis. Inflammation of the bladder walls, often in connection with stones/sludge.
- interstitial cystitis (IC). Under this category are lumped all urinary tract problems that are no stone/sludge based and that cannot be healed by an antibiotic. At this point in time IC can only be managed, but not cured until goes away on its own some years later. It is however a default diagnosis that is only arrived at after all the above issues have been excluded over a period of time. If your vet arrives at a diagnosis of IC, we can help you with dietary and support care we have ample experience of that they actually do work in combination with the necessary medication.
(Barley water, while some people swear that it can help, is not in that category. Your soda definitely isn't!)
- kidney stones or failure
- arthritis and wet belly caused by limited mobility/pain (not uncommon in older guinea pigs, but will require a vet check)

Can I please remind all new members posting on this thread that we do not support home treatment without a vet consultation!

I just bought the dry stuff in a bag from Asda :) The principle behind the barley water is that the viscosity of the fluid will help protect the bladder wall and ease some discomfort. Bear in mind, it's not a cure and it is a holistic treatment. There's no guarantee it will work. But I took the approach that it was an easy way to get extra fluid into my poorly girls and it did seem to help them be more comfortable. If she has a UTI she will need antibiotics. Please keep a close eye on her and consider going to a vet sooner, she sounds uncomfortable.

Yes, I shall. I believe that guinea pig's urine is naturally alkali and that cranberry makes it more acidic, making it an unsuitable home for the bacteria, and that barley helps the pain and protect the walls, as you said, so I shall try both of those before I do a vet trip. I personally believe that vets are only any use for something that is easily identifiable, so I prefer to use homemade remedies and then do a vet trip. Thanks for the advice!

Yes, I shall. I believe that guinea pig's urine is naturally alkali and that cranberry makes it more acidic, making it an unsuitable home for the bacteria, and that barley helps the pain and protect the walls, as you said, so I shall try both of those before I do a vet trip. I personally believe that vets are only any use for something that is easily identifiable, so I prefer to use homemade remedies and then do a vet trip. Thanks for the advice!

Please don't self diagnose. it might not be a UTI. It could be a stone, it could be a reproductive issue, it could be her bowels, it could be all manner of things. Your pig needs a vet. If you have experienced cystisis yourself, you know how much pain she will be in. And that is only the best case scenario. She needs a professional.

Hi and welcome

The symptoms you are describing cover several different issues and require a proper vet check and appropriate treatment and medication. While barley water can be used to support vet care at home, it cannot heal and cannot replace any necessary medication. Please NEVER just use human home meds on spec on another species or extrapolate from your own human experience. it can, and has, gone horribly wrong and can cause prolonged, severe and unnecessary suffering. The right to vet care is one of the basic animal rights when you get a pet, and it is there for a very good reason!

None of the below problems will go away or improve on their own and without appropriate care. In any case, your guinea pig requires a proper painkiller/anti-inflammatory (NOT a human product which can harm) and depending on the issue, an antibiotic. The choice of antibiotic depends on the nature of the problem and what kind of vet you are seeing.

All these issues present with the same symptoms, but require different treatment and a vet visit!
- womb issues, including pyometra (potentially deadly infection of the womb lining if left untreated); requires an antibiotic or depending on the findings, a spaying operation. My Cariad presented with the symptoms you have mentioned and was found to have a fluid filled grossly enlarge womb that was going pyometric. She also had a most likely cancerous lump in there. She was spayed.
- urinary tract infection (UTI). Requires an antibiotic as it is caused by faecal bacteria.
- bladder stones or sludge. Always a possibility that needs to be eliminated by your vet. They will require an operation for removal. They do not disappear on their own.
- cystitis. Inflammation of the bladder walls, often in connection with stones/sludge.
- interstitial cystitis (IC). Under this category are lumped all urinary tract problems that are no stone/sludge based and that cannot be healed by an antibiotic. At this point in time IC can only be managed, but not cured until goes away on its own some years later. It is however a default diagnosis that is only arrived at after all the above issues have been excluded over a period of time. If your vet arrives at a diagnosis of IC, we can help you with dietary and support care we have ample experience of that they actually do work in combination with the necessary medication.
(Barley water, while some people swear that it can help, is not in that category. Your soda definitely isn't!)
- kidney stones or failure
- arthritis and wet belly caused by limited mobility/pain (not uncommon in older guinea pigs, but will require a vet check)

Can I please remind all new members posting on this thread that we do not support home treatment without a vet consultation!

Ok, thank you for your advice!

Back