• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
Status
Not open for further replies.

Piggypie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My Guinea pig is about 10 weeks old and for two weeks now she's had white spots in her cage. I know it's excess calcium, but how long does it last or what should I do? I've changed her piggy food thinking it might have too much calcium and she hasn't had celery or carrots in awhile. Thank you! :)

Is the deposit gritty or powdery? If it's powdery it's normal - if it's gritty (like it has sand in it) it could be excess calcium in which case someone else with more knowledge may be able to advice if it's a diet thing!

My Guinea pig is about 10 weeks old and for two weeks now she's had white spots in her cage. I know it's excess calcium, but how long does it last or what should I do? I've changed her piggy food thinking it might have too much calcium and she hasn't had celery or carrots in awhile. Thank you! :)

You may find our diet guide helpful in cutting down on calcium; especially if you look at the sample diet which most of our long term owners have based their diets around with their personal twists. Neither carrots or celery are particularly high in it, but greens, pellets and unfiltered water can actually contain a lot without you noticing. That should take care of most of the white pees. The occasional white pee is not of concern, as long as it powdery, but daily or near daily white pees are a sign of a diet that is too high in calcium and that can contribute to the formation of bladder stones or sludge.
Recommendations For A Balanced General Guinea Pig Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back