Diy Cage Interior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Celine298

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My little man is as odd as they come. When I bought him, I got the largest cage in the shop and every toy/feeder/bedding you can imagine... none of them lasted, he hated them all! So I had to get my thinking cap on and figure out some alternatives! With a little rummaging around the house I found plenty of alternatives for his little palace.20160926_162022.jpg

RAMP:
A piece of wood with some carpet glued on for tiny feet to grip. He sometimes ignores it and hops onto the upper level himself.

UPPER LEVEL:
Corrigated plastic board (which is very hard to get in my small town). I tore up an old pillow case and glued it to the board, his little paws couldn't grip it. I normally place a little felt over that to keep the dirt off. This is his general feeding area, away from his bed and poo zone. It also acts as the 'roof' for his bed. As you can see I leave a flap of felt dangling over the edge so he doesn't feel exposed when he sleeps.

HAY FEEDER:
He hated the commercial ones so I bought a little coloured box in Primark for £3.50 and it does the job perfectly. He can bury his head in the hay and I don't need to worry about him pooping or peeing in it. I also got a cardboard box (he ADORES boxes) and cut holes in it. I stuff this with hay and this acts as his 'play' area.

20160926_162032.jpg

BEDDING:
I use strips of fleece blankets (Primark £3.50), old fluffy socks and microfiber dusters as his bedding. I change it twice a day so the blankets cut into strips is very handy! I also have a little teddy in his bed which he sometimes uses as a pillow. But most of the time he just beats him up.

20160926_162105.jpg

STIMULATION:
As I mentioned, he hates commercial feeders, so I made up this thing. It's simply a toilet roll tube affixed to the bars with pipe cleaner. I use this at feeding time by putting spinach/kale/dandelion leaves into it. It's in a different area to his dish so not only is it encouraging him to move around, but it forces him to wrestle his veg out of the various holes.

20160926_162940.jpg
I also mentioned his cardboard hay box, which he uses for snoozing in during the day or rolling around in!

I also buy cat toys for his cage. Normally you can buy little packets of soft, will balls, balls with bells or mice that rattle for a couple of pounds in most pet shops. I find their size, textures and noises great for Sunny. He likes to bop them around his cage when he's doing his zoomies.

Just thought I would throw this post up if anyone is looking for alternative cage ideas for their piggys. If any one has any other hints or tipswich, please pass them on :)

20160926_162009.jpg

Tiamolly123

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My little man is as odd as they come. When I bought him, I got the largest cage in the shop and every toy/feeder/bedding you can imagine... none of them lasted, he hated them all! So I had to get my thinking cap on and figure out some alternatives! With a little rummaging around the house I found plenty of alternatives for his little palace.View attachment 52782

RAMP:
A piece of wood with some carpet glued on for tiny feet to grip. He sometimes ignores it and hops onto the upper level himself.

UPPER LEVEL:
Corrigated plastic board (which is very hard to get in my small town). I tore up an old pillow case and glued it to the board, his little paws couldn't grip it. I normally place a little felt over that to keep the dirt off. This is his general feeding area, away from his bed and poo zone. It also acts as the 'roof' for his bed. As you can see I leave a flap of felt dangling over the edge so he doesn't feel exposed when he sleeps.

HAY FEEDER:
He hated the commercial ones so I bought a little coloured box in Primark for £3.50 and it does the job perfectly. He can bury his head in the hay and I don't need to worry about him pooping or peeing in it. I also got a cardboard box (he ADORES boxes) and cut holes in it. I stuff this with hay and this acts as his 'play' area.

View attachment 52783

BEDDING:
I use strips of fleece blankets (Primark £3.50), old fluffy socks and microfiber dusters as his bedding. I change it twice a day so the blankets cut into strips is very handy! I also have a little teddy in his bed which he sometimes uses as a pillow. But most of the time he just beats him up.

View attachment 52784

STIMULATION:
As I mentioned, he hates commercial feeders, so I made up this thing. It's simply a toilet roll tube affixed to the bars with pipe cleaner. I use this at feeding time by putting spinach/kale/dandelion leaves into it. It's in a different area to his dish so not only is it encouraging him to move around, but it forces him to wrestle his veg out of the various holes.

View attachment 52785
I also mentioned his cardboard hay box, which he uses for snoozing in during the day or rolling around in!

I also buy cat toys for his cage. Normally you can buy little packets of soft, will balls, balls with bells or mice that rattle for a couple of pounds in most pet shops. I find their size, textures and noises great for Sunny. He likes to bop them around his cage when he's doing his zoomies.

Just thought I would throw this post up if anyone is looking for alternative cage ideas for their piggys. If any one has any other hints or tipswich, please pass them on :)

View attachment 52781
It's frustrating when you spend ages on the cage & they don't like it.
Mine likes log rolls & ramps over the top
Toliet rolls with a slit in it so they don't get stuck, cut stripes In Fabric to hide under.
Anything they can chew. Brown paper bags. Carrot house. Currently looking for a mirror?

Celine298

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
You can buy small vanity mirrors in Primark as far as I know, they come in a little case with a flip up lid. They are meant for handbags but I'm sure their small enough for a piggy's cage, once you take the lid off :)

Status
Not open for further replies.