• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keiko The Pig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! For those of you who've seen my other posts you know I recently got my first pig, and today his friend grom the rescue came home! It's about a half hour into bonding and there's been rumbling, mounting from both parties, butt sniffing, chasing, and popcorning from both boys! Milo (Keikos new baby brother) even went over and ate the small leftovers of Keikos carrot and there hasn't been any chattering, chin raising, lunging or other bad signs. They are happily running around, eating food, chasing through tunnels. Looks like I hit the piggy jackpot! They are getting along splendidly.

Do you have any pictures?
Oh... I'm not too good with boars and I could be wrong but I'd imagine it's because there's a new pig about and he's trying to be dominant..
Something along those lines.. :P

Do you have any pictures?
Oh... I'm not too good with boars and I could be wrong but I'd imagine it's because there's a new pig about and he's trying to be dominant..
Something along those lines.. :P
Hard to get pics right now! Milo is too fast Keiko is constantly trying to chase him either that or Keiko is popcorning away from Milo as if to say "hah you can't get me" just had another look though looks like Keiko has put away his parts back where they belong

update: after approximately 3 1/2h bonding in my washroom, Keiko and Milo could not be happier. They clicked instantly. Milo never rumbled back at Keiko or anything, they shared food (thanks to little Milo, Keiko was curious enough to try lettuce! hoping he develops a taste for it!) They chased, popcorned, no sign of aggression or bullying, and now in their new cage are eating from the same food/hay bowl even though they have their own. Milo is even eating from Keiko's bowls (which i didn't use vinegar to wash, so may still smell like him) and there are no issues! Happy chirping, no rumbling since the first 5 minutes of exploring the new set up, and I couldn't be happier. Milo's foster mom even threw in his favourite chew toy and his lovely little fleece bed at no cost, because she wanted to make sure he was happy :) After a week or so i plan to give Keiko his edible house (whats left of it anyways lol) and Milo his bed back. They seem to have no issues over territory! They shared chew toys that smelled like the other, Keiko even shared his one baby carrot with Milo which I NEVER expected to happen, since he treats those carrots like the best thing in the world! And Keiko is still my affectionate little boy :) he jumped onto my lap during the bonding and that convinced Milo to come give me a sniff even though this is his first day with me! I just know my close bond with Keiko will make taming Milo that much easier. Special thanks to @Wiebke for all your incredibly helpful threads on boars and introductions! I can see the change in Keiko already, he's 10x happier with another piggy to keep him company! pics to come soon, once Milo learns not to hide when I approach their cage :)

update: after approximately 3 1/2h bonding in my washroom, Keiko and Milo could not be happier. They clicked instantly. Milo never rumbled back at Keiko or anything, they shared food (thanks to little Milo, Keiko was curious enough to try lettuce! hoping he develops a taste for it!) They chased, popcorned, no sign of aggression or bullying, and now in their new cage are eating from the same food/hay bowl even though they have their own. Milo is even eating from Keiko's bowls (which i didn't use vinegar to wash, so may still smell like him) and there are no issues! Happy chirping, no rumbling since the first 5 minutes of exploring the new set up, and I couldn't be happier. Milo's foster mom even threw in his favourite chew toy and his lovely little fleece bed at no cost, because she wanted to make sure he was happy :) After a week or so i plan to give Keiko his edible house (whats left of it anyways lol) and Milo his bed back. They seem to have no issues over territory! They shared chew toys that smelled like the other, Keiko even shared his one baby carrot with Milo which I NEVER expected to happen, since he treats those carrots like the best thing in the world! And Keiko is still my affectionate little boy :) he jumped onto my lap during the bonding and that convinced Milo to come give me a sniff even though this is his first day with me! I just know my close bond with Keiko will make taming Milo that much easier. Special thanks to @Wiebke for all your incredibly helpful threads on boars and introductions! I can see the change in Keiko already, he's 10x happier with another piggy to keep him company! pics to come soon, once Milo learns not to hide when I approach their cage :)

Milo is still a baby and Keiko has obviously accepted him as such, so there is no dominance. Milo is also aloowed to eat from Keiko's food (even from his mouth), as that is ho babies learn what is safe to eat and what not.

At the worst, Keiko will chuck him out of hidey if he gets uppity but until the baby hits the teenage hormones, you won't have to worry about them not getting on. You can put their hideys back anytime.

Milo is still a baby and Keiko has obviously accepted him as such, so there is no dominance. Milo is also aloowed to eat from Keiko's food (even from his mouth), as that is ho babies learn what is safe to eat and what not.

At the worst, Keiko will chuck him out of hidey if he gets uppity but until the baby hits the teenage hormones, you won't have to worry about them not getting on. You can put their hideys back anytime.
Okay thank you. I'll give them the new houses I bought. Right now they've got an open ended cardboard box and a log tunnel that Milo adores. Should I wash Milo's fleece bed before returning that to him?

Okay thank you. I'll give them the new houses I bought. Right now they've got an open ended cardboard box and a log tunnel that Milo adores. Should I wash Milo's fleece bed before returning that to him?

I would as it is going into the shared cage. it is very likely that Keiko is going to claim the bed as his, as is his prerogative as top pig.

I would as it is going into the shared cage. it is very likely that Keiko is going to claim the bed as his, as is his prerogative as top pig.
Okay thank you, also how should I go about floor/lap time after Milo has had a couple days to settle in? One by one? Both together? Should I just take Keiko out for the first couple days as Milo adjusts to his new home?

Okay thank you, also how should I go about floor/lap time after Milo has had a couple days to settle in? One by one? Both together? Should I just take Keiko out for the first couple days as Milo adjusts to his new home?

Please always feed, handle etc. Keiko first, but as youngsters often can't cope with being alone, it would be best to give them shared lap time until Milo has got his confidence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back