• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
  • You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Fungal Stripe? Please Help!

ChubbyCarrots

Junior Guinea Pig
878E0323-B847-4D89-AC5C-6FDA4ACF628D.jpeg His nose before C3881771-3207-4C38-97E9-87C2E299D50F.jpeg
His nose after

Hey guys, it’s Lily. I recently noticed Coco had a white line on his nose, I took him out of the hutch immediately because I never noticed it. My other guinea pig, Buddy, doesn’t have the same line.

I split Coco’s fur in half and to my horror it was a snowstorm. He had a line about a cm long. Not only that but there were lots of flakes.

I’m not sure yet but I think it might be a mild case of fungal stripe. I’ve been treating it with anti bacteria as I don’t know what to do.

Thanks so much.
-Lily xx

ChubbyCarrots

Junior Guinea Pig
Hey guys, it's me again. I think Coco has a fungal stripe on his nose. Here are the pictures:

His before and after picture:
coco.jpeg nosefungus.jpeg

Does athletes foot cream or anti bacteria work please?
If not what can I do to treat him please?

VickiA

Staff member
Athletes foot is a fungal infection so, if you want want to try to clear the stripe up, athlete's foot cream is more appropriate than anti bacterial. I must admit, I've always been told to leave nose strips be.
They usually are self limiting and burn themselves out. I wouldn’t treat unless it got worse and spread. Then, you are best to get a vet to check before using any treatment, as the nose is a sensitive area.

VickiA

Staff member
I have merged your threads, as we request that all H & I matters are kept in one thread together. It helps to avoid confusion in answering thread.

ChubbyCarrots

Junior Guinea Pig
Hi everyone, I want to thank everyone so much for helping me! Coco and I went to the vets the other day and it WAS something fungal. We bought a 100ml bottle of "hibiscrub" which has been going really well. Coco's nose fungus spread to the top of his mouth, upper cheeks and further up his nose but 4 days of hibiscrub did the job! :yahoo:It's already healing! When rinsing his nose a chunk got caught in his fur and within 5 minutes I managed to get it out!

Thanks so much!