• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

AquiaD98

New Born Pup
Reaction score
So any advice would be extremely helpful. My guinea's health has deteriorated within the last 24 hours. I'm taking her to the vet in the morning but now I'm wondering if it's best to let nature run its course here at home. Without stressing her with a car ride. She's eating and drinking still, a decent amount. But she's not being active at all, she seems like she's hurting to stand or even move. Her eyes have discharge and she's hunched. She's not responsive as she usually is and it is KILLING me to see her this way. She'll be 5 years old this August.

Does this sound like she's making her way to rainbow bridge?

It’s positive that she’s still eating and drinking, I would take her to the vets in the morning and see what they can find. Fingers crossed for you and your little one!

Agree with above. If she’s eating and drinking that’s good. She may have an infection which is making her like this. Get her to a piggy savvy vet as quickly as you can but all the time she eats and drinks there’s hope. Good luck and let us know how she gets on?

So any advice would be extremely helpful. My guinea's health has deteriorated within the last 24 hours. I'm taking her to the vet in the morning but now I'm wondering if it's best to let nature run its course here at home. Without stressing her with a car ride. She's eating and drinking still, a decent amount. But she's not being active at all, she seems like she's hurting to stand or even move. Her eyes have discharge and she's hunched. She's not responsive as she usually is and it is KILLING me to see her this way. She'll be 5 years old this August.

Eye discharge sounds like a respiratory infection or dental problems. The rear teeth are quite close to the eyes in guinea pigs, but you saying shes still eating🤔. See a vet asap. Sounds like you could get her sorted to me . Best wishes x

( see a guinea pig knowledgable vet is a must IF possible)

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the forum
Sorry you have a sick piggy.
Let us know how you get on at the vets

:agr: Please have her seen by a vet ASAP. Welcome to the forum.

Hi!

I am very sorry; it is the kind of situation none of us wants to find themselves in.

Please see a vet as to what they think is the cause and whether it is treatable or not.

It is still a good sign that she is eating/drinking on her own; this means that the pain/discomfort is not to bad yet and she is definitely still fit to travel.

If the problem can be addressed with medication (including painkillers and gut stimulants), please also step in with top up syringe feeding. Monitor her weight daily at the same time, so you know how much she is eating on her own. She is not ready for euthanasia/pts yet, in any case.
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

All the best!

Arthiritis is a possibilty at 5 years old. Mention this too. Can be treated with daily painkillers from the vet

Back