How can I secure my fleece down on a regular cage to prevent burrowing?

Louisemck312

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I just got a new fleece to line my cage but one of my piggies Madison keeps burrowing underneath it! Since it’s not a C&C cage I can’t clip it to anything and it fits the cage perfectly so can’t tuck it under/over anything. I’ve tried putting her bowl in one of the corners but she managed to flip it up and get her food EVERYWHERE 😫😂. It’s only one of the girls doing it but I know she’ll probably end up teaching her friend Meatball how to do it too🙄🤪 I’ve added extra hideaways in to hopefully help and discourage her, but any more help on how I could secure the fleece down would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance x

rp1993

Forum Donator 2021/22
Reaction score
Could you get her a snuggle pouch and see if that gives cures her urge to burrow?

Hath

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I drape one fleece blanket on the bottom of the cage. So take the top off, drape the blanket, put top back on and add fleece liner as you normally would. If you've made it yourself then you can just sew extra sides on the liner so you can drape the sides and keep the liner in place.
Mine don't go under. maybe it's because they want cuddly hide places? I have piggie who only uses fleece tunnels to sleep. Others ignore them and prefer cuddly beds. They are complicated creatures with comfort preferences....

LollyJJ

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I just put another fleece on top and secure it by tucking it down the side of the hidey/cortex etc to allow them to burrow, as they enjoy it, and love watching them do it!

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
My girls used to burrow as well. Even under bath mats. What worked is I clipped a piece of fleece over their hides on one side of the cage. The entrance to the hides was (a little) covered as well. And they actually sometimes lay outside the hides but under the fleece. I’ll try and find the photo for you.
4403436B-B689-4AE6-9D5D-54AC52263897.jpeg

Last edited: