• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Itching: What should I do?

Lizzieejoyce

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello again you helpful bunch! Hope you’re all doing well.

I rescued two females (sisters, approx 4 years old) last week and one in particular is itching quite a bit and has a patch of torn hair/a bald patch on her back. The itching seems more frequent now. I have an appointment on Monday morning with the vet to get them checked over, but in the meantime, is there anything I can do to help them?

Please note, they are very skittish at the moment, so I can't even pet them, let alone hold them yet - any advice on how to break that barrier is also welcome!

Thank you all! x

Picture of her back is bigger in person but it's the only photo I have at the moment

1588772098490.png1588772125218.png

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello again you helpful bunch! Hope you’re all doing well.

I rescued two females (sisters, approx 4 years old) last week and one in particular is itching quite a bit and has a patch of torn hair/a bald patch on her back. The itching seems more frequent now. I have an appointment on Monday morning with the vet to get them checked over, but in the meantime, is there anything I can do to help them?

Please note, they are very skittish at the moment, so I can't even pet them, let alone hold them yet - any advice on how to break that barrier is also welcome!

Thank you all! x

Picture of her back is bigger in person but it's the only photo I have at the moment

View attachment 141314View attachment 141315
Hi!

Please do not put anything on it; it is like wiping the crime scene as far as your vet is concerned. If you treat with an antiparasitic drug now, it means that you have to wait for 1-2 weeks until it has worn off before your vet can step in with a stronger product; so you only prolong any necessary treatment and spend extra money in doing so.

My bet is on mange mites; your girl is showing the classic early stages triangle; but without a hands-on examination I can only guess.

However, 3 applications of a vet grade ivermectin or selamectin brand at the product specific interval (there are a number of them, the names differing a lot from country to country) should take care of them, so it while there is some discomfort now and there will more until about 2 days after the second application (the third round is there to deal with any stragglers), it is worth waiting for good quality treatment to get on top this ultimately more quickly than you would otherwise. You should be over the mites in just over 2 weeks' time after the third application. Keep that firmly in mind. I know that it is isn't at all pleasant for any loving owner to sit by and waiting for the ivermectin to its job. But thankully we have an effective treatment against mange mites these days!

Stay strong and take heart - this will be got over as quickly and efficiently as possible. ;)

Lizzieejoyce

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi!

Please do not put anything on it; it is like wiping the crime scene as far as your vet is concerned. If you treat with an antiparasitic drug now, it means that you have to wait for 1-2 weeks until it has worn off before your vet can step in with a stronger product; so you only prolong any necessary treatment and spend extra money in doing so.

My bet is on mange mites; your girl is showing the classic early stages triangle; but without a hands-on examination I can only guess.

However, 3 applications of a vet grade ivermectin or selamectin brand at the product specific interval (there are a number of them, the names differing a lot from country to country) should take care of them, so it while there is some discomfort now and there will more until about 2 days after the second application (the third round is there to deal with any stragglers), it is worth waiting for good quality treatment to get on top this ultimately more quickly than you would otherwise. You should be over the mites in just over 2 weeks' time after the third application. Keep that firmly in mind. I know that it is isn't at all pleasant for any loving owner to sit by and waiting for the ivermectin to its job. But thankully we have an effective treatment against mange mites these days!

Stay strong and take heart - this will be got over as quickly and efficiently as possible. ;)
Okay thank you for the guidance, is there anything I can do to distract them if not intervene? One is now twitching and leaping a bit, clearly with intense itches and it breaks my heart to see!