• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

My Guinea Pig’s Paw is Bleeding!

GuineaPigLover7891

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! I’m the owner of two guinea pigs. Patches (the older one) and Carmal (the younger one). So I came in to there cage to feed them their veggies. I then noticed Patches paw was red. At first, I thought it was just his coloring. So I fed Carmal his veggies. I also noticed that Patches didn’t eat his veggies like he normally did. Carmal came up to the door to eat some veggies. He was always very nervous and would barely get veggies out from my hand. I was so happy, that I temporarily forgot about Patches. In a few moments, I once again noticed Patches paw. I was more concerned this time. I didn’t want to pick him up. I didn’t want him to hate me. In the end, I decided better safe than sorry. I picked him up. I saw that his nail and paw was all bloody. While he was in the cage he was also biting it. As I’m writing this my shirt and part of my covers (on my bed) is covered in blood. I’m of course going to bring him to the vet. He is currently on my lap wrapped in a towel. Any advice on what I should do? Please Help!

Thanks in advance!

Hi! I’m the owner of two guinea pigs. Patches (the older one) and Carmal (the younger one). So I came in to there cage to feed them their veggies. I then noticed Patches paw was red. At first, I thought it was just his coloring. So I fed Carmal his veggies. I also noticed that Patches didn’t eat his veggies like he normally did. Carmal came up to the door to eat some veggies. He was always very nervous and would barely get veggies out from my hand. I was so happy, that I temporarily forgot about Patches. In a few moments, I once again noticed Patches paw. I was more concerned this time. I didn’t want to pick him up. I didn’t want him to hate me. In the end, I decided better safe than sorry. I picked him up. I saw that his nail and paw was all bloody. While he was in the cage he was also biting it. As I’m writing this my shirt and part of my covers (on my bed) is covered in blood. I’m of course going to bring him to the vet. He is currently on my lap wrapped in a towel. Any advice on what I should do? Please Help!

Thanks in advance!

Hi! Please try to stem the bleeding. It should hopefully stop within 10-15 minutes. Once it stops, gently clean with the paw with moist kichen paper or a clean rag to find out what has caused it. Most often it is a ripped-off nail and a bleeding quick.

Contact a vet asap if the bleeding doesn't stop (emergency).

Have the foot if necessary vet checked if you are very worried or reluctant to cut off a hanging nail. Depending on the severity of the injury, the nail may or may not grow back or may grow back thickened, but it generally doesn't impinge much on mobility.

Thanks in advance!
If it's his nail some cornstarch might help to stop the bleeding, do you have any pictures?

I have never cut a guinea pig’s nail before. We are taking it to the vet tomorrow. I have just put him back. I also checked Carmal for any injuries(he is hurt free). If I TRIED to cut it, it would be my third time taking him out of his cage today.

I have never cut a guinea pig’s nail before. We are taking it to the vet tomorrow. I have just put him back. I also checked Carmal for any injuries(he is hurt free). If I TRIED to cut it, it would be my third time taking him out of his cage today.
Best leave it to the vet then :) it didn't look too low so hopefully it'll heal okay

Update!

Patches is ok! It was a good thing that I took him to the vet! He had a mild infection. The vet put him on pain meds for 3 days. He also has to take antibiotics twice a day for a week. He had his first helping of pain meds and antibiotics at the vet. I still need to give him antibiotics tonight!

Thanks for all the help!:P

Pleased Patches got on OK at the vet and is now on pain meds and antibiotics. Did the vet trim the nail off? What pain meds and antibiotics did Patches get?

The vet DID trim the nail off. He also got his other nails trimmed. The vet said the nail may fall off and gave me some powder to stop the bleeding. I do not have the medicine with so I don’t know the exact names. I do know they are oral medicine. You also have to use a syringe to give it to them.

Back