• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaurenR

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a young guinea pig that I foolishly got from a breeder (there's a story behind it but that's not why I'm here) I have another piggy so frosty the new new piggy has been in quarantine. He began to develop scabs and was diagnosed with mites. The vets gave him some drops last Friday and I was due to go back this Friday for another dose.
Today he is squeaking (in pain) shaking himself (like a dog does when they're wet) scratching like a loonatic and pulling himself up on the cage.
I've got him back in the vets at 2pm but can anyone offer any advice or has anyone experienced anything similar.
He also is refusing to let me touch him, which he never does. He is squeaking and running away

Thanks guys.

Lauren (a newbie to this forum)

Oh dear poor little one!

I'm no expert on this, but it might be handy for some back ground info.

Do you know what drops were used, was it Xeno, invermectin etc?

It's definitely worth getting some metacam for pain relief, sounds like his skin is on fire (reminds me of having chicken pox!) so that will relieve some of that pain and he'll hopefully be better with being touched.

I don't know if there's some soothing cream that can be applied (gorgeous guineas is a fab site)?

And also it would help if you can add your location to your profile so that advice can be tailored to help you more :)

She did tell me when she put it on but I can't remember the name. I'm back at the vets at 2pm so I will ask when I am there.

I feel so sorry for him as he is clearly in agony :( constantly making little 'this really hurts' noises.

I have no idea how I'm even going to get him out of the cage for the trip to the vets at the point because he won't even let me near him.

I'm in the north east of England. Not sure how to update the post itself?

Thank you for responding to me also. I have been refreshing the page since I posted haha

Aw bless him, I have a poorly boy myself so I know how heartbreaking it is to hear that sound :(

I would get a nice thick tea towel and wrap it around him as you catch him, or use a snuggle sack if you have those. If he's in a lot of pain he might bite you out of fear and pain, so a bit of protection might be in order. If he does he doesn't mean it though, I'm sure he'll make it up to you once he's better :)

You have to update your location on your profile (it's been a few years so I don't remember how to do it :mal: sorry!).

I know the feeling! I keep doing that on my thread, thinking "why won't someone give me a magic cure right now?!" :))

Definitely ask for Metacam, and see if there is anything they can prescribe to soothe the itching.

It's not something that is recommended, but I was at my wits end once with a pig with mites. He just wouldn't stop scratching. I had a long conversation with Gorgeous Guineas (website), and sent over a few photos. We tried him with a tiny bit of their Aloe Vera gel and it worked wonders. Normal Aloe Vera has other stuff in it that can make it worse.

Definitely go with what the vet says first, as the Metacam should help massively.

I have also had pigs that have been given steroids to help stop the itch scratch cycle but that was a few years ago and we tend not to recommend steroids anymore on the forum due to the effect on the immune system. You could ask the vet about anti-histamines like Piriton as I think that can help stop itching a bit. Depending how many mite treatments have already been given, I would also ask the vet about Ivermectin being given by injection as it does tend to be more effective that way.

I second the Metacam recommendation too.

See if you can back to the vets ASAP maybe she is allergic to that brand poor little thing. She needs help

Can I ask what it was called? If it's called xenex ultra spot on, it is an allergic reaction that your piggy is experiencing my piggy had this reaction and symptoms sound very similar.

If it is xenex ultra spot on, you NEED to fill this form out for the vetinary medicines directorate
Here's the link: Product Details

Hi guys!
I'm just in from work (I work evenings) so update on the situation.
I didn't ask the name of what they had put on because everything went a completely different way to what I expected.

He wouldn't let her examine him so she put him under (not fully just so he was very drowsy) so she could have a look. She could not see anything on him or come to any conclusion as to what the issue was.
As soon as he became less drowsy he was again very jerky whenever tried to touch him, despite being still somewhat sedated.

She wanted to keep him in for observation so he stayed there in the pet hospital and they are to call me tomorrow and let me know what's what.
As soon as I drop the kids at school I will call them up and ask the name and mention about it being a possible reaction.

Honestly I cannot thank you all enough for responding to me on here. I wish I had joined ages ago I've had so many times I've need some cavy savvy friends to help me out and not really known where to turn.

I will keep you all posted!

You sound like you are doing everything possible for your guinea pig - he is lucky to have you advocating for him.

It is good he is at the vet, but having been through both fungal and mites with one of mine I can safely say that neither the vet nor I(it's a long story but I have a scientific background and access to a high power microscope) saw any signs of mites on Eddi.
And we both checked multiple sample, many times.
But Eddi did have mites, and they were driving him crazy.
So just because the vet didn't see anything on your boy, doesn't mean that the mites aren't there.

I hope your boy feels better soon.

Hi guys!
I'm just in from work (I work evenings) so update on the situation.
I didn't ask the name of what they had put on because everything went a completely different way to what I expected.

He wouldn't let her examine him so she put him under (not fully just so he was very drowsy) so she could have a look. She could not see anything on him or come to any conclusion as to what the issue was.
As soon as he became less drowsy he was again very jerky whenever tried to touch him, despite being still somewhat sedated.

She wanted to keep him in for observation so he stayed there in the pet hospital and they are to call me tomorrow and let me know what's what.
As soon as I drop the kids at school I will call them up and ask the name and mention about it being a possible reaction.

Honestly I cannot thank you all enough for responding to me on here. I wish I had joined ages ago I've had so many times I've need some cavy savvy friends to help me out and not really known where to turn.

I will keep you all posted!

To be honest it does sound like an allergic reaction to the treatment, which I'm guessing will be xenex ultra. This is a cheap knock off version of xeno 450 (well not cheap, cost me over £80 for 2 pigs!) and I was given it by the vet too. Frankie had the same symptoms but luckily he was white so I was able to see his skin was red raw where the xenex had been applied. His symptoms lasted 7-10 days. They become sensitive to light so you'll have to keep his cage covered with a towel and put him in a quiet room for a week or more. Hell need it washing off asap, I understand he's in the vets but I would make sure they get it all off. And frankie didn't move for around 5 days, so you'll probably have to hand feed and water him and check him for laying in his own urine.
I hope he pulls through okay. After frankie had his allergic reaction I did some research on this product and it is very dangerous and eversince I have been trying to get this product removed off the shelves for over a year and I successfully got amazon to stop selling it altogether :)
Just please make sure you fill in the form I sent you the link to, to try and get it banned. The more people that make them aware of this dangerous product the more likely we are in getting rid of it altogether. Even if it's not this product but a different one it's definitely still worth filling the form out to make them aware.

Please let us know how he is when you see him tomorrow x

Hi!
Right so I called them first thing this morning and they said they need to keep him in. They said he's lively but not eating so they want to keep him until at least tomorrow evening.

I have just got back home and called them again to speak to the vet who is calling me back at 2.30pm.

I want to ask her if I can bring him home today because at this point they're still saying 'we don't know what's going on'. I spoke to the receptionist about the possibility of an allergic reaction this morning and she assured me she would pass it on to the vet.

They used ivermectin on him last Friday and she said they haven't put any more on him since he came in.

When she calls I want to know a. If the mites have got worse and b. If I can bring him home and feed him critical care at least then I know what's going on.
In all honesty I don't want to pay £25 a day for them to keep him in a cage there saying we don't know what's going on. They aren't doing anything different to what I could be at home for free.

I will however do what the vet suggests so if the vet is dead set against it I will leave him there. I'll find out at 2.30pm and update you all again xx

It might be useful to put your location on your profile so we could suggest a more cavy savvy vet?

It is definitely worth trying to find a second opinion from another vets if they're unable to help.

Healing vibes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back