• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Keiko The Pig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, I've had my guinea pig for just over a month now and he is quite bonded to me recently he has started calling out if I'm out of my room for an hour or two working on the computer. My parents have also noticed this behaviour and agree he needs a friend, however he is quite young and I keep reading about young hormonal boars being impossible to bond. In my area there are no rescues for small animals from what I can find, just the typical cat/dog shelters, so dating is not an option. I must adopt from someone who can no longer care for their piggie or purchase a new pig from a pet store (don't start with me on this being awful, I'm just being honest about my options) or once again adopt from someone who has a litter of pigs but are not a trained breeder. But all of the ads i have looked at and the people I have contacted will not do boar dating for various reasons. I of course will provide two houses, two bottles, food bowls, hay dishes/racks etc for the boys and introduce in a neutral territory with no one entrance hideys and all of that. But i am still worried they will fight and hurt each other. My boy has a very playful personality. He loves climbing all over me, trying to bite my hair, and gets crazy excited if you wiggle one of his chew sticks back and forth. He chases it almost like a dog would! Should I take the chance on a pig he hasn't met? I would try to get one younger than he is, because I feel like he would not submit easily if I brought in an older pig. He was housed with other pigs around his age before I brought him home so he hasn't been a "lone piggy" for very long at all.

Hello

No one here would to judge you for turning to a pet shop, Rescuing while great as it is isn't always possible for people and the majority of people of the forum understand this. Things are never black & white.

How old is your little one? Maybe a baby boy would be the way to go? If you could locate one.

Have you read our bonding guides, maybe worth a glance over

Illustrated Bonding Behaviours And Dynamics
Boars: A guide to successful companionship.
Introducing And Re-introducing Guinea Pigs

Tagging in @Wiebke for any ideas

Hello

No one here would to judge you for turning to a pet shop, Rescuing while great as it is isn't always possible for people and the majority of people of the forum understand this. Things are never black & white.

How old is your little one? Maybe a baby boy would be the way to go? If you could locate one.

Have you read our bonding guides, maybe worth a glance over

Illustrated Bonding Behaviours And Dynamics
Boars: A guide to successful companionship.
Introducing And Re-introducing Guinea Pigs

Tagging in @Wiebke for any ideas
Yes I have read everything and watched everything I could find! Unfortunately my first boy is from a pet store, so I do not know his age but he has to be at least two months because the pet store only takes in pigs 4 weeks old and I have had him for over a month. I may have located a pig who was just born in March and is now ready to be homed away from his mum, he is also an abby, the same as my boy though I know guinea pigs don't seem to care about that at all lol they just want the company. Unfortunately this pig is an hour or so away, but I'm hoping to find a way to get him. I know my Keiko wants a friend, I can tell he gets bored destroying my DIY toys made out of various toilet rolls, cardboard boxes etc. I also heard that having two might reduce some of his wheeking early in the morning? Since I'm pretty sure he does it more for attention than anything, he loves to be stroked on the nose/head

I also heard that having two might reduce some of his wheeking early in the morning? Since I'm pretty sure he does it more for attention than anything, he loves to be stroked on the nose/head

:)) Ha ha - good luck with that. They are loud little monkeys aren't they.... We adopted a baby piggy and while she was in quarantine she did wheek a lot more for attention etc... so you never know.

Your boy obviously has a great home, hopefully this other little pig will be just what he needs. You will always have this lovely bond with Keiko, he does sound lovely

Yeah they can be quite loud lol. But I always make sure he's got enough hay/food water for the night until I wake up, but he still gets at it around 6-7am! I think I might've just spoiled him with too much attention lol. He's great yea, mischievous little pig he is, but he's got me wrapped around his little paws

You should be ok with getting him a friend. I adopted 3 of my guinea pig boars from gumtree. (A risk I know, but I had a vet fund in place and c&c cages that can be split if required) don't be put off during the bonding as there will be likely a display of dominance and it can look pretty scary. But if they are going to get on with each other you can usually tell quickly. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. And your boy sounds adorable.

You sound a very caring owner. It's nerve wracking doing the introductions but if you follow all the advice in the threads it stands a good chance of working. And then you will have 2 happy piggies and a happy owner. Good luck to you x

You should be ok with getting him a friend. I adopted 3 of my guinea pig boars from gumtree. (A risk I know, but I had a vet fund in place and c&c cages that can be split if required) don't be put off during the bonding as there will be likely a display of dominance and it can look pretty scary. But if they are going to get on with each other you can usually tell quickly. Good luck with whatever you decide to do. And your boy sounds adorable.
I have the money if any vet care is needed and If a separate cage or divider truly becomes an essential i will also do that. The pig i am looking to adopt has a much quieter temperament than Keiko based on what I've heard from the owner, he also follows the other pigs around which makes me optimistic about this pairing. I don't think this pig will challenge Keiko's advances to be the dominant pig.

I have the money if any vet care is needed and If a separate cage or divider truly becomes an essential i will also do that. The pig i am looking to adopt has a much quieter temperament than Keiko based on what I've heard from the owner, he also follows the other pigs around which makes me optimistic about this pairing. I don't think this pig will challenge Keiko's advances to be the dominant pig.
you should be ok then if this new piggie isn't interested in being the boss. And if things do go wrong you have a back up plan. Good luck i hope all goes well. And keep us all posted.

unfortunately the lady wants the pig gone asap and would not hold him for 3 days so I am back on kijiji searching for another possible friend

Hello there, I may be able to assist. My girl Zero gave birth on March 15th to 3 piggies. I have one male left. His name is Butters but he doesn't know his name too well. He's litter trained thanks to our rabbit! I'm asking 20$ for him, but I can let him go for free for you.

I noticed that you're in Ontario, whereabouts? I'm in Hamilton.

Hello there, I may be able to assist. My girl Zero gave birth on March 15th to 3 piggies. I have one male left. His name is Butters but he doesn't know his name too well. He's litter trained thanks to our rabbit! I'm asking 20$ for him, but I can let him go for free for you.

I noticed that you're in Ontario, whereabouts? I'm in Hamilton.
Funny enough I saw your piggy and was unable to find a ride out there to pick him up remember? Thats my boar Keiko in the photo. I really wanted to get Butters, but the rents say Hamilton is just too far unfortunately :(

Oh wow that's hilarious. Dang it I'm sorry! Well if you must get a piggy from a pet store. But don't pay anything over 30$ for one! They'd be ripping you off, but I'm sure you knew that one. Sorry I don't drive! D:

Oh wow that's hilarious. Dang it I'm sorry! Well if you must get a piggy from a pet store. But don't pay anything over 30$ for one! They'd be ripping you off, but I'm sure you knew that one. Sorry I don't drive! D:
Lol small world right? Yeah unfortunately around me all the pet stores want $30. Thus the kijiji searching! If I must I will purchase a friend for Keiko. He was all over my cat today, wheeking, sniffing her, trying to climb her, (my cat is quite old and tolerates my dwarf hamster running over her so i was not too worried when Keiko took an interest) Its plain to see he's yearning for some company

Quite!
Gotta do what you gotta do.
And that's a brave active guinea pig! I hope I am able to have a fearless one someday! Lol.
Butters is somewhat there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back