• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alexandra West

New Born Pup
Reaction score
IMG_5613.JPG IMG_5613.JPG IMG_5614.JPG IMG_5615.JPG I just got a baby guinea pig today (he's about 6-8 weeks I think?) and he makes a weird noise before making a noise that sound like he's coughing or choking? His nose isn't runny but he keeps nearly closing one of his eyes. I can't find any thing on this and I'm scared? Please help? He also is starting to make a weird clicking noise? I'll link a video with what it sounds like. Please help me... I've only had him for not even a full day and I'm scared he's sick. He did the noise on the way home, but didn't do it again until just a little bit ago. He's urinating just fine (he peed on me through the box on the way home) he's been pooping normal poops and he's been eating a lot of hay and drinking water. He hasn't ate much of his actual food, though. He isn't acting lethargic or anything from what I can tell, either. Is it the food? Is he lonely? The store didn't have any more piggies so we only got one with plans on introducing him to another. Is he sick? Or is it that he's still adjusting? It's Vitakraft Vitasmart complete nutrition guinea pig food. Please help me. I can't call a vet this late at night and I'm scared. His name is Finnian. I've had two piggies before, but they were adult when I got them, and never had this problem?

It sounds like he could have an upper respiratory infection which will need veterinary attention I'm afraid.

Do you have a vet nearby that is knowledgable with Guinea pigs?

Keep the receipts of your vet visits and take them to the store you got your little one, the may reimburse you the cost or simply say they will take him back (sadly these pet stores see small furries as just a number and will happily swap them out).

Let us know how u get on at the vet x

It sounds like he could have an upper respiratory infection which will need veterinary attention I'm afraid.

Do you have a vet nearby that is knowledgable with Guinea pigs?

Keep the receipts of your vet visits and take them to the store you got your little one, the may reimburse you the cost or simply say they will take him back (sadly these pet stores see small furries as just a number and will happily swap them out).

Let us know how you get on at the vet x
Sadly, I have no idea of any good places that take exotic animals. I've been looking into it, though. I had a gut feeling that this would call for a vet visit. After all, it's worth it if it means saving my piggie.

I'm worried my baby piggie has come down with a URI. Once the vet opens, I'm going to schedule an appointment. But what can I do to help my piggie until then? He's been eating and drinking fine, but since I just got him today I don't know how long he's had this. He's only 6-8 weeks I believe. What things can I do to make him more cozy while I wait until the vets appointment?

Can someone merge the two threads? @sport_billy This will keep all the advice in one place and means there's no chance of your questions being missed.

I have added a link to recommended vets in Ohio on your other thread.

Keep him away from any drafts in the meantime, and start weighing him as of today to keep track of his progress. Once daily whilst he is poorly and once weekly after that x

Can someone merge the two threads? @sport_billy This will keep all the advice in one place and means there's no chance of your questions being missed.

I have added a link to recommended vets in Ohio on your other thread.

Keep him away from any drafts in the meantime, and start weighing him as of today to keep track of his progress. Once daily whilst he is poorly and once weekly after that x
I can't weigh him, we don't have a scale. He's still eating and drinking just fine. He's always munching on his hay, eating his food, and he's actually drinking quite a bit.

View attachment 57087 View attachment 57087 View attachment 57088 View attachment 57089 I just got a baby guinea pig today (he's about 6-8 weeks I think?) and he makes a weird noise before making a noise that sound like he's coughing or choking? His nose isn't runny but he keeps nearly closing one of his eyes. I can't find any thing on this and I'm scared? Please help? He also is starting to make a weird clicking noise? I'll link a video with what it sounds like. Please help me... I've only had him for not even a full day and I'm scared he's sick. He did the noise on the way home, but didn't do it again until just a little bit ago. He's urinating just fine (he peed on me through the box on the way home) he's been pooping normal poops and he's been eating a lot of hay and drinking water. He hasn't ate much of his actual food, though. He isn't acting lethargic or anything from what I can tell, either. Is it the food? Is he lonely? The store didn't have any more piggies so we only got one with plans on introducing him to another. Is he sick? Or is it that he's still adjusting? It's Vitakraft Vitasmart complete nutrition guinea pig food. Please help me. I can't call a vet this late at night and I'm scared. His name is Finnian. I've had two piggies before, but they were adult when I got them, and never had this problem?
I've found a vet, Noah's Ark Animal Clinic that accepts walk-ins. That's where my grandma takes her dogs and I didn't know they also handle exotics.

Just on a break will be quick. I would try getting the treatment money refunded from the vets bills. Dont take your handsome fella back to the shop, they probably wouldn't treat him &just sell him to someone else.
That's great u have found a vet. :)

If its longer than an hour or so before you can get him seen, maybe get a bowl of steaming water nearby to let him breathe more easily or if u have olbus oil handy keep some nearby but not in piggy reach- this will help him if he's blocked up at all.
Let us know how u get on.
Gorgeous piggy by the way :wub:
Xx

I can't weigh him, we don't have a scale. He's still eating and drinking just fine. He's always munching on his hay, eating his food, and he's actually drinking quite a bit.
It's worth purchasing some digital scales normally used for food. Weight loss is often the first sign of illness in a pig so weighing them weekly can pick up on issues early and actually be a life saver. Obviously your boy may not be losing weight if you have caught this early but watching them eat can be deceiving sometimes.

Definately something worth investing in when owning Guinea pigs; will help you monitor his recovery too.

Good luck at the vet x

Finnian is gorgeous. Hope he recovers soon.
Keep us updated please! x

Just on a break will be quick. I would try getting the treatment money refunded from the vets bills. Dont take your handsome fella back to the shop, they probably wouldn't treat him &just sell him to someone else.
That's great you have found a vet. :)

If its longer than an hour or so before you can get him seen, maybe get a bowl of steaming water nearby to let him breathe more easily or if you have olbus oil handy keep some nearby but not in piggy reach- this will help him if he's blocked up at all.
Let us know how you get on.
Gorgeous piggy by the way :wub:
Xx
Thank you! The soonest appointment they had was for 3:30 this afternoon.

View attachment 57087 View attachment 57087 View attachment 57088 View attachment 57089 I just got a baby guinea pig today (he's about 6-8 weeks I think?) and he makes a weird noise before making a noise that sound like he's coughing or choking? His nose isn't runny but he keeps nearly closing one of his eyes. I can't find any thing on this and I'm scared? Please help? He also is starting to make a weird clicking noise? I'll link a video with what it sounds like. Please help me... I've only had him for not even a full day and I'm scared he's sick. He did the noise on the way home, but didn't do it again until just a little bit ago. He's urinating just fine (he peed on me through the box on the way home) he's been pooping normal poops and he's been eating a lot of hay and drinking water. He hasn't ate much of his actual food, though. He isn't acting lethargic or anything from what I can tell, either. Is it the food? Is he lonely? The store didn't have any more piggies so we only got one with plans on introducing him to another. Is he sick? Or is it that he's still adjusting? It's Vitakraft Vitasmart complete nutrition guinea pig food. Please help me. I can't call a vet this late at night and I'm scared. His name is Finnian. I've had two piggies before, but they were adult when I got them, and never had this problem?
I got him in with the vet. Sadly, Noah's Ark Vet stopped taking care of exotics a long while ago. So I've found him one that does accept them, but not walk-ins. He will be on his way to the vet in a few hours. His appointment is at 3:30. Thanks to everyone who said Finnian was adorable!

I am so sorry that your gorgeous little man is unwell. Hopefully the vets will give him a good check over and get him sorted. But pet shops shouldn't sell sick animals so I would ask them to pay for your vets bill. Please let us know how you get on x

Semi-update
He's gone through 2 hand-fulls of hay already, so I'm glad he's still at least semi-eating. He's not touching his pellet food very much, though. But I'm not sure if he dislikes it or what. He hasn't squinted his eye at all today, but he is coughing a bit more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back