• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Pig fell, any good experiences?

amyprie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi!
My guinea pig fell on a sunday, on tuesday he started limping. I took him to the vet, she couldn't feel anything broken so she gave him 0.9ml of loxicom (Meloxicam) for 5 days. If he doesn't get better she would do the x-ray, etc.
This morning (first day after the medicine) looked like he had a bit more energy, but when I arrived home he was still limping.
He is eating as normal, still loves a treat. But he's sleeping a lot, laying down a lot and he's been a little bit more quiet as well.
I gave him the medicine again when I arrived from work today. He scratches himself with the injured paw but avoid putting weight into it. It's still swollen as well
Does anyone had experience like that? How long for him to feel better? Was it normal for yours to lay down so much as well?
I had a guinea pig before and she usually laid down like giving up when she was about to die but at that time she was not even eating. My actual guinea pig is eating as normal.
It breaks my heart seeing him like this, I'm afraid as and agonized all the time. So I was looking for a bit of hope if anyone could offer

So sorry for the little man, generally it may take a few weeks for any injury like a sprain to get better. Do keep on with the Loxicom though as it’s a pain killer and an anti-inflammatory drug which will help to reduce any swelling. Hope the limping stops soon x

Just as with humans, a bad sprain may take a couple of weeks to get better, but I think it is definitely worth getting an xray too after a fall so you can see exactly what you are dealing with. The pain medication will help, but you might ask the vet about splitting the dose to give some every 12 hours as piggies metabolise medicines very fast- giving only once a day may leave piggy in pain for some of the day. Many piggies recover fully from a fall and even from broken legs- we have a piggy who we adopted with a limp that turned out to be from a leg break that occured 3 months earlier- but of course, the exact type of break and where will affect if and how well it will heal. So there is plenty of hope your piggy will recover, but an xray may give more info about how long and complete good recovery will be, and this will take at least a couple of weeks. Hope piggy is ok x

Back