• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Taegijoon

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello All,

We took Chai to an emergency care center as I suspected she had a case of bloating. They gave her injections of Reglan (
Metoclopromide) and buprenorphine. They told us they did not have the oral version of Reglan and to consult with our vet for a prescription. I have been reading the threads on here regarding bloat and I see mentions of Zantac. My question is, do I need both? When I got home I called the emergency group that took Chai to ask and confirm if Reglan will get rid of the gas as I see its purpose is to stimulate gut mobility. They told me it will get rid of the gas as well. I just want to confirm with anyone here if i just need the Reglan or both. Many Thanks! <3

Hello All,

We took Chai to an emergency care center as I suspected she had a case of bloating. They gave her injections of Reglan (
Metoclopromide) and buprenorphine. They told us they did not have the oral version of Reglan and to consult with our vet for a prescription. I have been reading the threads on here regarding bloat and I see mentions of Zantac. My question is, do I need both? When I got home I called the emergency group that took Chai to ask and confirm if Reglan will get rid of the gas as I see its purpose is to stimulate gut mobility. They told me it will get rid of the gas as well. I just want to confirm with anyone here if i just need the Reglan or both. Many Thanks! <3

Hi!

Zantac (ranitidine) is currently out of production after a worldwide recall, unfortunately.
It works on a different part of the digestive tract; metoclopramide mainly vacates the gut and is not as effective with guinea pigs as with dogs or cats because guinea pigs don't suffer from constipation.
You can find more information on the treatment of bloat in guinea pigs; including what you can do at home in this guide here: Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating

Hi!

Zantac (ranitidine) is currently out of production after a worldwide recall, unfortunately.
It works on a different part of the digestive tract; metoclopramide mainly vacates the gut and is not as effective with guinea pigs as with dogs or cats because guinea pigs don't suffer from constipation.
You can find more information on the treatment of bloat in guinea pigs; including what you can do at home in this guide here: Digestive Disorders: Diarrhea - Bloat - GI Stasis (No Gut Movement) And Not Eating
Hi!

Yes I've read the threat on bloat, that's how I knew of the Zantac. So what medicine should I get to take care of her at home? Because I think the prescription was made for metoclopramide/Reglan for me to go pick up.

I don't think anyone on this forum can tell you what medication to request. If zantac is most commonly used but has been recalled then your vet needs to consider the next best option and it sounds like they have chosen reglan. I don't have experience of bloat medications except zantac so can't comment on this. To some extent we all have to put a level of faith and trust in our vets doing the right thing.

You are limited here waiting for an answer as what you are now waiting on is members who have managed bloat on medications that aren't zantac and I'm assuming there won't be many as it's so commonly prescribed here

Reglan (emeprid) is a fine drug to treat bloat.

Zantac, as Wiebke said, is recall and out of production. Ask your vet for reglan in liquid form to give at home. Also please read Wiebke guide it is amazingly detailed

Just very quickly in answer to this Reglan (emeprid or metachlopromide) is used for bloat it is a gut motility drug and pushes stuff through, it has saved the lives of piggies in the past of ours. So as a bloat treatment highly recommended and the main go-to drug here in UK.

Sadly Zantac has safety fears and is no longer being manufactured

Back