• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have had some problems with my 1 year old guinea pigs. A while ago they started to itch and soon after they has scabs that bleed, and they wheek when touched. One of our guinea pigs with these symptoms passed away a few weeks ago, and these symptoms have started on my other two guinea pigs.
We will be seeing a vet, but is there anything I can do in the meantime?

I will post a picture later of the symptoms.

I am very worried, so any help is appreciated.

Hello and welcome to the forum. I’m so sorry for the loss of one of your piggies. I would just advise seeking a vets opinion as soon as possible. I hope they get on ok.

Thank you for stating your own thread.

All I can suggest is to have them seen as a matter of urgency.
Guinea pigs can die of severe mite infestations, but only a vet can properly diagnose this and provide appropriate treatment.

In the mean time do not be tempted to try any home remedies or over the counter treatments. These can mask symptoms and make an accurate diagnosis harder, while not actually being strong enough to treat the problem.
I would also avoid washing your piggies as if it is mites this can cause them to become even more active and further distress your piggies.

Please have them see as soon as possible and once you have a diagnosis and treatment we are here to help and support you.

Tha

Guinea pigs can die of severe mite infestations, but only a vet can properly diagnose this and provide appropriate treatment.

In the mean time do not be tempted to try any home remedies or over the counter treatments. These can mask symptom

In the mean time do not be tempted to try any home remedies or over the counter treatments. These can mask symptoms and make an accurate diagnosis harder, while not actually being strong enough to treat the problem.
I would also avoid washing your piggies as if it is mites this can cause them to become even more active and further distress your piggies.

Please have them see as soon as possible and once you have a diagnosis and treatment we are here to help and support you.
Thanks you very much! We will be seeing a vet really soon
s and make an accurate diagnosis harder, while not actually being strong enough to treat the problem.

Thanks you very much! We will be seeing a vet really soon

Back