• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Am I over-reacting

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Josie

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I got my GP yesterday at a store. He is a long-haired est. 2 month old piggy. I have gone to the medical emergency site and everything else but nothing seems to be giving me answers! I even called the local vet and they couldn't tell me anything! He sneezes a couple times an hour, when I put him up to my ear I don't hear wheezing, but almost like a bubble popping in his nose. His sneezes are not harsh but small, sometimes sounds like he is puffing out some air. He is also breathing fast. When I put him in his cage I hear him sneezing SOMETIMES, but when I take him out he does sneeze quite a bit. He seems to be eating his hay, but I am unsure if he is eating his food or drinking his water. He also seems to be peeing a pooping just fine. When I take him out, I see small fabric like particles, possibly from the bedding I am using (care fresh complete) and I am not using aspen or wood. There is no discharge coming from his nose or eyes.

Is this just me freaking out? Is there something I should be SERIOUSLY worrying about? Or is it just that he is regularly sneezing like humans do. Please answer!

I would take him to a vet asap.
It might be nothing, but it does sound like he could have a respiratory infection.
I believe this is quite common in shop bought piggies unfortunately.
If he is ill, all vet costs should be covered b the store you bought him from.

I got my GP yesterday at a store. He is a long-haired est. 2 month old piggy. I have gone to the medical emergency site and everything else but nothing seems to be giving me answers! I even called the local vet and they couldn't tell me anything! He sneezes a couple times an hour, when I put him up to my ear I don't hear wheezing, but almost like a bubble popping in his nose. His sneezes are not harsh but small, sometimes sounds like he is puffing out some air. He is also breathing fast. When I put him in his cage I hear him sneezing SOMETIMES, but when I take him out he does sneeze quite a bit. He seems to be eating his hay, but I am unsure if he is eating his food or drinking his water. He also seems to be peeing a pooping just fine. When I take him out, I see small fabric like particles, possibly from the bedding I am using (care fresh complete) and I am not using aspen or wood. There is no discharge coming from his nose or eyes.

Is this just me freaking out? Is there something I should be SERIOUSLY worrying about? Or is it just that he is regularly sneezing like humans do. Please answer!

Normal looking poos means that your boy has been eating enough until yesterday; they are always some hours to a couple of days later than the actual food intake depending on how well the guts are working. But you can stop worrying on that score! If you worry about the food intake, which may take some days to sort itself out, place plenty of hay and water close to his hidey - unlimited hay should make up to 80% of the daily food intake, so he won't go hungry and is getting the most important nourishment. If necessary, place a towel over the cage to give him an added feeling of protection until he has got his bearings.

As to the sneezing: a guinea pig cannot breathe through its mouth, so you hear any obstruction or irritation a lot more. Do you have air conditioning, as the dry air can sometimes irritate the nose, as can bedding or hay dust/pollen?
It doesn't not look like fully developed URI, so I would see a vet tomorrow if the frequent sneezing does not subside, sooner if there is a deterioration. Your vet may still want to treat for URI first because it can be a killer. Is your piggy an only piggy or has he got a companion?

What you can do now to help ease the breathing is to place a bowl of steaming water next to the cage and keep replacing it from time to time. See whether that will help to calm down the nose.

As we have members and enquiries from all over the world, you can really help us tailor any advice and recommendations to what is really relevant and available where you are straight away. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location.

You may find our starter kit for new owners helpful in settling in your little piggy.
" Starter Kit" Of Information Threads For New Owners

My guinea pig is a loner due to me unable to have 2 because I live in a strict apartment. I just turned the fan in my room off and put a towel on the cage. What do you mean by "deterioration"? I am a bit hesitant on the steaming bowl because I am afraid it will make his nose drip.

My guinea pig is a loner due to me unable to have 2 because I live in a strict apartment. I just turned the fan in my room off and put a towel on the cage. What do you mean by "deterioration"? I am a bit hesitant on the steaming bowl because I am afraid it will make his nose drip.

The steam will not make the nose drip. Guinea pigs don't get colds like humans. Respiratory tract infection is a bacterial and not a viral illness. ;)

With deterioration I am meaning that your boy is starting to look ill, go off his food and exhibit other symptoms of a URI.

If you have a fan in the room, please make sure that your guinea pig is not getting the full blast. It can cause problems and even URI.

Thank you so much! I am going to take him to the stores vet tomorrow. There are no other vets that deal with exotic animals near me, so it is my only option. I will try the steaming bowl of water! Thanks!

do you use air fresheners around the home or strong toiletries/perfume/deodorant? sometimes irritants like these can cause sneezing too, if you do use any of them try keeping the source away from his room/hutch/cage.
try the steaming water overnight hopefully this will help & see the vet in the morning just to check him over & see if it is a URI.

as has been said before keep the fan pointed away from your little man, guineas can tolerate quite a range of constant temperatures but they don't do well in draughty or damp conditions.

make sure you keep the receipt from the vets & see if you can claim back from the pet shop where you got him. if you're in the UK it should be straight forwards, other countries may have different ways of doing things, but basically you may have bought a piggy who isn't 100% healthy - you should be able to claim your money back.

he really would do better if you could talk your landlord into letting you get him a friend.
guineas are social creatures & are usually happier & healthier if in pairs (same sex unless neutered) or if neutered he could have a harem of girls if your landlord would agree!

also if he has only just arrived with you he may be breathing rapidly as he is still unsure of his surroundings & panic'ing when being handled as he may not be used to it & guineas are prey animals that usually show the "fight or flight" response, this could also be part of it.

good luck at the vets tomorrow & keep us updated. xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back