• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bethers

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I hope someone can advice and reassure me.
I'm new to guinea pigs, I have two little boys.

Yesterday I noticed around Dexters eyes he had lost some hair and it looked sore i asked a couple of people and they said it's a fungal infection, I can't afford to take both the piggies to the vets at the moment so want to try home treatments first.

Today I bathed them both and shampooed them in Selsun dandruff shampoo also applied Caneston cream around the eyes. Since then I've noticed my other piggie Gus has the same hair loss around his eye just not as bad.

They also seem to be scratching a lot like they got a permanent itch.

I've also gone back to wood shavings and carefresh rather than fleece, binned everything wooden and cleaned everything they have been near.

Has anyone used Selsun and Caneston before?
Thanks so much :-)

I would get them both checked over by a vet.

Hi, I hope someone can advice and reassure me.
I'm new to guinea pigs, I have two little boys.

Yesterday I noticed around Dexters eyes he had lost some hair and it looked sore i asked a couple of people and they said it's a fungal infection, I can't afford to take both the piggies to the vets at the moment so want to try home treatments first.

Today I bathed them both and shampooed them in Selsun dandruff shampoo also applied Caneston cream around the eyes. Since then I've noticed my other piggie Gus has the same hair loss around his eye just not as bad.

They also seem to be scratching a lot like they got a permanent itch.

I've also gone back to wood shavings and carefresh rather than fleece, binned everything wooden and cleaned everything they have been near.

Has anyone used Selsun and Caneston before?
Thanks so much :-)

Hi and welcome!

Please have them both checked by a vet. If you have had them only for a short time and the infection has occurred in their previous place (i.e. within 2-3 weeks), then you can reclaim vet cost from the shop if you present the bill with the sales receipt. You can also complain to your local council about trading standards.

Selsun is rather harsh to be honest. Your vet should also check for mange mites. Be aware that if you treat on spec, you are making the job for the vet much harder to diagnose properly.
Our recommended vets locator: Guinea Pig Vet Locator
Here is our ringworm guide: Ringworm: Hygiene And Pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back