Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse's pigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hee hee! One of our erstwhile pigs was a little well-endowed like that! But they do look so lovely together :luv:

It was a bit different for me when we brought home Zebedee (aged 4 and a half) with his new friend Squeaks (aged 6 weeks ) from boar-dating at Windwhistle. Squeaks ran round and round in circles popcorning and squeaking loudly for ages, while Zeb just sat there looking exhausted just with watching him, and eventually retired to a cosy tunnel to rest! Bit like an old granny looking after her toddler grandchild for the first time :lol:
Awwwww! Mo is having time out moments but only to get the energy back for more mounting lol

Qualcast&Flymo

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I guess he just wants to make it 'quite clear' that he is the boss, and that's the way it's staying. :nod: Whereas Zeb (and Badger before him) seemed interested only in food and taking it easy...

Jesse's pigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Since waking up- so hot can't sleep and I woke up at every rumble lol- the little one is so much more comfortable now. Mo is still rumbling but not as crazy about mounting and the little one is popcorning and copying Mo as he eats from the hay rack. Sweetest thing! Now I'm not worried about this because Mo definitely isn't hurting him but why does Mo lick his bum? Is it another dominance thing?

Betsy

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
I've often wondered about the bum licking too! Christian does it a lot to the girlies especially when they are in heat.

Jesse's pigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hehe that would have been a good idea but my mum claimed the name choice. I was between Bellamy or Sebastian. My mum went for Steve. Lol. Mo has been such a good boy I'm thinking he deserves a treat.

Jesse's pigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
@Wiebke just looking for some advice. Mo is now non stop mounting and rumbling at the little one who is quite frankly having enough and keeps nipping him. Is this a bad sign?

Jesse's pigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
The little one isn't drawing blood and just wheeks loudly when he does it. Mo is still lying down at times but definitely humping more then he was.

Jesse's pigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Now I don't know if I've done the right thing- gosh I hope I have- but for tonight both boars are separate. Mo was continously humping Steve and poor old Steve was clearly getting agitated - wheeking loudly (I know this is to say he is submitting) and nipping Mo. Both boars are a bit hotter due to warm weather and I'm hoping this has just made both of them a little grumpy. Now separate both are quiet, Mo is laying next to his ice pack and Steve just in the centre of his a cage I've put together- it's a crate but will do for tonight. I appreciate many are asleep- god wish I was haha. But have i done the right thing? The humping was going on for a while and I did wait it out but it wasn't stopping and not only was Steve clearly bothered but Mo is hot and mounting/chasing Steve isn't cooling him down. I suppose I spoke too soon when I said it seemed to be going perfectly lol.

Jesse's pigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm out tomorrow for six hours- good old school. Should I leave them separate until I return home to reintroduce them again or just hope for the best and put them back in the morning? I'm gone from 8:30 to about 3:30 and I also go out 6:30 am to 7:45 am. I'd feel terrible if I returned home and they had fought.

Cavy Kung-Fu

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I'm not sure about having to introduce them again, looks like it will just start from scratch now.

My advice is to never separate unless there is bloody, humping and nipping is 100% normal and will always happen with pairs or more.

I know it's hard as you're not used to it yet, if you can you could get someone else to watch them and you can walk away for a bit. I've had to do that during bonding myself!

D

DM030819

When you separate them then it's back to square one when you put them back together. I always save bonding for a weekend, and start on Friday evening if I need to, so I can watch them all weekend.

If you're not sure then don't put them together until you can be there to watch them.

I wouldn't have separated, because the humping is part of the process. They need to work out who is Top Pig. It's hard to watch but you need to let them be. And as Cavy Kung-Fu mentions only separate then there is blood. It's an anxious time bonding pigs.

Jesse's pigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Oh I knew I'd done the wrong thing! Grrrrrrr. Well I'll try them again this weekend and this time I won't separate unless there is blood. I feel bad now and I hope I haven't ruined their chances. Or is it better to put them together again when I get home seeing as there wasn't any blood all weekend and just leave them to do their thing?

D

DM030819

Have a go tonight, you never know. Don't worry about doing the wrong thing, you did what you thought best and that is the right thing.

Bonding can be really tough and it never works the same way each time.

Jesse's pigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Have a go tonight, you never know. Don't worry about doing the wrong thing, you did what you thought best and that is the right thing.

Bonding can be really tough and it never works the same way each time.
I am going to put them back together as soon as home I think. I'll put them on the grass when home. At the minute their in the coolest room next to each other. :)

Julie M

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I am not an expert but it may be easier if you just stuck to having them in one area until they bond properly. As every time they move to a new area they have to start their hierarchy again as it's a new territory for them. And when you put them out on the grass maybe put out something with their scents on it. So it's not a new territory. Hope that makes sense.

Tiamolly123

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Awww they look perfect, mind you mo's so intimated by his size he's bound to do what he wants. He must think he's a giant. :lol!:
Glad it's a perfect bond, none of mine will bond.

Status
Not open for further replies.