• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jesse's pigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Right I've finally done it! Mo has a friend which he is currently getting acquainted to. (Mo has never looked soooo huge!)

Okay so he seemed a little shocked at first and a bit jumpy. Then I got a little worried cos he kept nibbling the little ones fur and ears - one of which he caught and there was a dot of blood- but I didn't intervene as I know you have to wait it out. Then the mounting started which the little one only squeaks alot at lol and when Mo stops he'll run back up to Mo like- what?

Mo did also just stand in the corner and do some loud wheeks which I couldn't tell were GET AWAY or OMG A BROTHER. I'm thinking it was the latter cos now Mo just keeps lying down chilled out, legs splayed (when he's not humping) and the little one is investigating the cage and following him/nibbling. Mo keeps looking to me for cuddles like WHT MUM IS THIS REAL?. there is some rumbling from Mo bit I expected it to be a bit scarier then it is at the minute.

The new boar is a brave old soul to keep approaching Mo and right now Mo is laying near his water bottle and the little one nibbling hay. I'm just so happy that Mo is. Obviously I'm more then happy having another furbaby *big grin* but it was Mo I wanted to please.

20170617_104945(0).jpg

20170617_105019.jpg

20170617_104958(0).jpg

20170617_104954.jpg

Grooming and nibbling ears and fur is a friendly invitation from a dominant piggy to join the their group; it can occasionally get a bit enthusiastic. I guess that Mo is rather happily venting his boarly feelings.
So far, it all sounds very positive; have a look at my bonding guide, and you'd see all the behaviours in there. They have definitely bonded. ;)
Just wait until they start popcorning together and you'll understand why companionship is soo vital.

What you should do:
- please have two of each, bottles, bowls, hay and hideys with two exits so the bigger boy cannot block any exits or access to food, water and hay. Chucking the underpiggy off or blocking access is part of dominance behaviour. This is especially important with boars.
- if the humping, which is very normal for boar bonding (especially when bonding a baby) is getting too much, provide a small tunnel or a small cardboard box with two opposing exits for the baby to escape to.
It's also one in our bonding guide. Illustrated Bonding / Dominance Behaviours And Dynamics

Thank you @Wiebke I'm glad it's going so well. It could have just as easily gone the opposite and for that I'm thankful. I've got them on the grass together now and they've just layer next to each. Mo munching and the little one just cuddling him. And thx @Mother Hubbard that was just soooooo cute.

Looks like Mo is not just happy about company, but that he is a very good daddy boar, too! :)
It really does seem like he's fathering him. I've just put their tunnel in- Mo's first baby lol he loves it- and after Mo went through checking all was right the little one did and then Mo pushed the tunnel out the way so he lie next to his new friend. Literally crying with joy at how cute they r!! MAKES ME WANT MORE...:lol!:

It really does seem like he's fathering him. I've just put their tunnel in- Mo's first baby lol he loves it- and after Mo went through checking all was right the little one did and then Mo pushed the tunnel out the way so he lie next to his new friend. Literally crying with joy at how cute they r! MAKES ME WANT MORE...:lol!:

Problem is, boars are best in pairs (trios and quartets with youngsters rarely stay intact), and you have to get them through puberty, which is the tricky bit. Suddenly your cute babies are no longer cute babies... ;)

Problem is, boars are best in pairs (trios and quartets with youngsters rarely stay intact), and you have to get them through puberty, which is the tricky bit. Suddenly your cute babies are no longer cute babies... ;)

I know it seems only yesterday Mo was a wee baby too...yeah I wouldn't add any more to them but possible another pair of boars in the the future........we'll see they're such lovely animals. Oh god the hormone stage- can only wait and see. X

I'm actually so happy for you all! This is such a lovely thread, I'm so glad to see them so happy so quickly! :D :drool:
Thank you! And yes I'm so shocked at how accepting Mo is! I mean I'm by far one of the least experienced people when it comes to bonding and yet it went soooo well! Right now they're asleep all spread out (at opposite ends of the cage due to the heat) completely relaxed and content. I mean I hoped it would go well but this is just AMAZING. Especially two boars! Cannot wait to see them get even closer and once the little one is tame enough- floor time together!

And hopefully as said above id love to offer a home to two more piggies at somepoint...though at the minute happy with these two. X thank you all for your kind words and help since I joined.

Hehe sorry they are a little big......

I have to avoid taking photos of a certain somepig from a certain angle for the exact same reason. :eek: But those two are adorable together, and I'm glad Mo seems to be so happy about it. There's nothing cuter than piggies falling asleep nestled together.

They are so cute together. The little one looks so so tiny. I'm glad Mo likes his new fried.

That last pic should have come with a health warning...excuse me Mr Moo but your gonads are a little prominent :eek:

Hee hee! One of our erstwhile pigs was a little well-endowed like that! But they do look so lovely together :luv:

It was a bit different for me when we brought home Zebedee (aged 4 and a half) with his new friend Squeaks (aged 6 weeks ) from boar-dating at Windwhistle. Squeaks ran round and round in circles popcorning and squeaking loudly for ages, while Zeb just sat there looking exhausted just with watching him, and eventually retired to a cosy tunnel to rest! Bit like an old granny looking after her toddler grandchild for the first time :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back